Accounting & FinanceInvestment Management
Business Valuation and Financing
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 05 Apr 2020 (Sun)
- 5 weeks
- Course Fee
This programme is suitable for degree holders and Executives who wish...
This module is designed to provide students with an understanding of the methods of business valuation. Topics include: an overview of the financing process, the pros and cons of using financial ratios and interpretations of financial statements, as well as a review of the shortcoming of capital budgeting tools.
The College of Business and Finance currently offers Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series. Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series provides an overview of the various aspects of the investment banking business & merger and acquisition transactions. The series is particularly relevant to professionals who are engaged in corporate development, corporate finance, strategic planning, finance, business development functions within a commercial firm, and legal advisory.
This workshop series is designed for those who aspire to develop a career in investment banking, merchant banking, management consultancy, and/or those who wish to enrich their understanding of the aforesaid industries. Students can choose to enrol in indiviual workshop listed below.
Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition Workshop Series:
- Fundamentals of Investment Banking
- IPO, Private Equity & Hedge Funds
- Business Valuation & Financing
- Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition
- Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
Students are required to meet the 70% attendance requirement and achieve 50% or above in the overall assessment. Students' performance in workshop shall be assessed both by continuous course work assignments (30%) and a final project (70%).
A Statement of Attendance will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance.
A Statement of Achievement will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance and achieved a passing grade in the overall assessment.
Statement of Attendance/ Achievement available witin 3 months after completion of the course.
|Application Code||1780-2206NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||05 Apr 2020 (Sun)|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 2:00pm - 8:00pm.
- 30 hours per module
- United Learning Centre
- HK Island
Business Valuation & Financing (Course Content)
(1)Mr. Francis Lau
Mr. Lau has over 10 years’ experiences in financial risk management, quantitative analysis, MIS and regulatory reporting for retail, wholesale and investing banking. His expertise are in implementing risk management measures in compliance with latest regulatory requirements, operating processes and internal control. Mr. Lau is a FRM® charter-holder with a Bachelor of Economics and a Master of Finance degree. He is currently pursuing his Ph. D. degree in the dynamic relationships between futures and cash instruments. With his keen interest, Mr. Lau continues to provide training in the continuing education programs for universities and professional associations.
(2) Mr. Walter Lau, FCCA
Walter Lau is a finance professional and chartered accountant with over 10 years’ experience in accounting, finance and investment. He worked in Tricor Services Limited and was responsible for wide-ranged financial advisory services, including accounting and treasury management. Moreover, he worked in Philip Group to dealing equities and derivatives and offer professional advice on local equities, derivatives, structural products, funds and wealth management, as well as foreign investment opportunities. As a financial risk professional, he worked in HSBC by reporting and assessing the risks of equity structural derivatives. Apart from his professional working experience, he has delivered finance and investment courses at various tertiary educational institutions over 10 years.
Walter holds a fellowship of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). He earned an MSc in Finance (Pass with Distinction) from the University of Michigan Dearborn and a BBA (Hons) in Accountancy (minor in Finance) from the City University of Hong Kong.
The objectives of this module are to:
- provide students with applied knowledge and skills that strengthen their ability to carry out their understanding of how financial analysis and valuation analysis are used in the sector of investment banking, especially in corporate finance and investment management;
- help students to develop basic financial models for valuation, which they can later enhance independently; and
- build up confidence of students in their use of PowerPoint and Excel spreadsheet, one of the more popular and widely utilized computational tools for valuation, financial analysis, management, and decision-making in many business environments.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- applying finance theories and techniques to assist with common valuation method in investment banking field;
- using quantitative skills in financial analysis to solve operational and technical problems of the kind that typically confront valuation exercise; and
- constructing simple Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint Presentation in business valuation process
Business Valuation & Financing (Course Content)
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers
- hold a bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline(s) awarded by a recognized university; or
- hold relevant and recognized professional qualifications in related business area; and have at least three years of work experience in the relevant industry. Or
- hold an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma or equivalent with at least 6 years of senior level work experience in the relevant industry is required.
Applicants with other qualifications and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merits.
Executives working in other relevant industries are most welcome to apply.
- Course Fee : HK$6350 (course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicant should submit the following:
1. Application form
2. Course fee HK$6350
3. Copy of academic/ professional qualification
4. HKID copyPayment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.