Accounting & FinanceInvestment Management
Business Valuation and Financing
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 23 Jan 2021 (Sat)
- 5 weeks
- Course Fee
This programme is suitable for degree holders and Executives who wish...
This module is designed to provide students with an understanding of the methods of business valuation. Topics include: an overview of the financing process, the pros and cons of using financial ratios and interpretations of financial statements, as well as a review of the shortcoming of capital budgeting tools.
The College of Business and Finance currently offers Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series. Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition workshop series provides an overview of the various aspects of the investment banking business & merger and acquisition transactions. The series is particularly relevant to professionals who are engaged in corporate development, corporate finance, strategic planning, finance, business development functions within a commercial firm, and legal advisory.
This workshop series is designed for those who aspire to develop a career in investment banking, merchant banking, management consultancy, and/or those who wish to enrich their understanding of the aforesaid industries. Students can choose to enrol in indiviual workshop listed below.
Investment Banking and Merger & Acquisition Workshop Series:
- Fundamentals of Investment Banking
- IPO, Private Equity & Hedge Funds
- Business Valuation & Financing
- Strategic Issues of Merger and Acquisition
- Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues in M&A
Students are required to meet the 70% attendance requirement and achieve 50% or above in the overall assessment. Students' performance in workshop shall be assessed both by continuous course work assignments (30%) and a final project (70%).
A Statement of Attendance will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance.
A Statement of Achievement will be issued to students who have achieved 70% of class attendance and achieved a passing grade in the overall assessment.
Statement of Attendance/ Achievement available witin 3 months after completion of the course.
|Application Code||1865-2641NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||23 Jan 2021 (Sat)|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Sunday, 1:00pm - 7:00pm.
- 30 hours per module
- United Learning Centre
- HK Island
Business Valuation & Financing (Course Content)
(1)Mr. Stephen Chan
Mr. Stephen Chan has more than 20 years of experience in professional accountants and corporate consulting. He graduated from the School of Accounting and Finance of the Hong Kong Polytechnic Institute and an Executive MBA from the City University of Hong Kong. Mr. Chan once worked in auditing at PricewaterhouseCoopers. After that, he served for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government, the Jockey Club, banks, airlines, and various listed companies. In recent years, Mr. Chan provided consultations on business compliance procedures, corporate financing, and taxation for different companies. He also had diversified teaching experience as a lecturer in various universities.
(2) Mr. Walter Lau, FCCA
Walter Lau is a finance professional and chartered accountant with over 10 years’ experience in accounting, finance and investment. He worked in Tricor Services Limited and was responsible for wide-ranged financial advisory services, including accounting and treasury management. Moreover, he worked in Philip Group to dealing equities and derivatives and offer professional advice on local equities, derivatives, structural products, funds and wealth management, as well as foreign investment opportunities. As a financial risk professional, he worked in HSBC by reporting and assessing the risks of equity structural derivatives. Apart from his professional working experience, he has delivered finance and investment courses at various tertiary educational institutions over 10 years.
Walter holds a fellowship of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). He earned an MSc in Finance (Pass with Distinction) from the University of Michigan Dearborn and a BBA (Hons) in Accountancy (minor in Finance) from the City University of Hong Kong.
The objectives of this module are to:
- provide students with applied knowledge and skills that strengthen their ability to carry out their understanding of how financial analysis and valuation analysis are used in the sector of investment banking, especially in corporate finance and investment management;
- help students to develop basic financial models for valuation, which they can later enhance independently; and
- build up confidence of students in their use of PowerPoint and Excel spreadsheet, one of the more popular and widely utilized computational tools for valuation, financial analysis, management, and decision-making in many business environments.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- applying finance theories and techniques to assist with common valuation method in investment banking field;
- using quantitative skills in financial analysis to solve operational and technical problems of the kind that typically confront valuation exercise; and
- constructing simple Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint Presentation in business valuation process
Business Valuation & Financing (Course Content)
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers
- hold a bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline(s) awarded by a recognized university; or
- hold relevant and recognized professional qualifications in related business area; and have at least three years of work experience in the relevant industry. Or
- hold an Associate Degree/Higher Diploma or equivalent with at least 6 years of senior level work experience in the relevant industry is required.
Applicants with other qualifications and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merits.
Executives working in other relevant industries are most welcome to apply.
- Course Fee : HK$6350 (course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicant should submit the following:
1. Application form
2. Course fee HK$6350
3. Copy of academic/ professional qualification
4. HKID copyPayment Method
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Coourse fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.