Business & Management Human Capital and Leadership
For details, please kindly refer to below link.
Statement of Attendance will be issued to students if they achieve 70% attendance or above.
The series of Business Practice in the Art World is designed to give students an opportunity to look inside the art business circle. Students gain knowledge in art business through lectures, experience sharing and visits to the art fairs, galleries and art consultations. It is suitable for newcomers who wish to have a basic understanding of the art business practices. They could be buyers, collectors or investors or even professionals in the fields of wealth management and insurance who need some basic knowledge to facilitate interaction with clients.
Experiencing the Art Market 認識藝術市場
This course studies the major channels for art transactions from both the buy-side and sell-side perspectives. It also looks into how art businesses are run and how art collection and investment are executed. Commercial art establishments, such as galleries, auction houses, art fairs, etc., will be introduced with a focus to provide students with practitioners’ points of view of the art business sector.
Session 1 – An overview of the local and global art market
- An overview of the art business sector
- Art as an alternative investment
- The key developments of the contemporary art market
- Future trends
Session 2 & 3 – The operation of commercial art establishment
- Introduction to dealership in Art
- Running a dealer’s / gallery business
- Curating a commercial art exhibition
- The auction market
- Artists in the art market
- Introduction to the online art market
Session 4 & 5 – Art collection and Investments
- Building a collection
- Learning from top collectors
- Collection management
- Selling your collection at auctions
- Other forms of art investments
Session 6 – Discussion of key issues and trends in the art market
- Top issues of the art market
- Top trends and trends of the art market
Complementing the lectures, there will be homework requiring the students to prepare a short presentation to be done in class.
To be advised.
Ms Julia Ip （葉敏中小姐）
Julia Ip is passionate about art and is an avid art collector and independent art curator. With experience as a gallery owner and art consultant offering art collection and investment advice, she has been active in the international art market scene for more than a decade. Julia frequently treads around the globe to attend major international art events and auctions and has been involved in a number of headline-grabbing transactions for highly sought-after artworks. She is also a seasoned investment banker with close to 20 years of work experience in global investment banks including UBS, BNP Paribas, and JP Morgan.
Julia is also a keen philanthropist and the founder and executive director of Project Artist X, the first art-based social enterprise in Hong Kong with a mission to benefit the local community through art. In addition, she serves as a committee member for the Arts with the Disabled Association Hong Kong (ADA), as well as for ADA’s social enterprise arm, ADAM Arts Creation. From 2010 to 2013, she was on the Board of Directors of the Hong Kong Foreign Financial Institutions Association (HKFFIA).
葉敏中（Julia Ip）熱衷於藝術，更是一位積極的藝術收藏家與獨立策展人。Julia帶着擁有自己的畫廊、及提供藝術收藏和投資建議的專業經驗， 在過去十多年一直活躍於全球藝術市場，經常踏足大型的國際藝術活動和拍賣，並參與了很多熱門藝術品的激烈拍賣。除了藝術投資外，Julia也是一位擁有近20年經驗的投資銀行家，曾蹤橫多家大型國際銀行，包括瑞士銀行（UBS），法國巴黎銀行（BNP Paribas）和摩根大通（JP Morgan）等。
Julia也是一位慈善家，創辦了本港首家以藝術為基礎和利用藝術造福本地不同社群為使命的社會企業Project Artist X，現時擔任該機構的執行董事。此外，她更是香港展能藝術會（ADAHK）以及其社企部門ADAM Arts Creations的顧問委員之一。此外，Julia在2010年到2013年間於香港外國金融機構協會（HKFFIA ）出任過董事一職。
|Experiencing the Art Market||-|
Days / Time
- Mon, Wed, 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- 6 session(s)
- 3 hours per session
Fee & Entry Requirements
APPLICANTS SHALL HOLD
(a) Degree holders
(b) Other qualifications or working experience will be considered on individual merit.
- Course Fee : HK$7,400 (includes all lectures and course materials)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- Relevant Programmes
- Art Business Basics Certificate for Module (Art Business Investment and Management)