Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Dietetics and Nutrition
Graduates will be able to apply for positions including community health, rehabilitation practitioner and nutrition health promotion officer in places such as NGOs and private
Do you have a degree in food and nutrition?
Have you considered a career in community nutrition?
The programme is designed for degree holders in food and nutrition and will be offered on a part-time basis over approximately 4-5 months. Module 1 will examine the theory on which community nutrition projects are developed, implemented and evaluated, community nutrition policy in Hong Kong, communications skills and professional issues. In Module 2 students will complete a supervised placement.
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses for CEF purposes.
Modules & Class Details
Module 1 – Nutrition Promotion (Part-time)
Health promotion theory; Community nutrition policy in Hong Kong; Socio-cultural determinants of nutritional disparities and food insecurity; Interventions with low-income audiences; Community nutrition interventions to improve health; Communication skills including working with media; Developing community nutrition programmes - needs assessment, program outcomes and efficacy; Professional issues – policies for ethical-legal issues, anti-discrimination.
Duration : Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:00 – 10:00pm (approximately 4 weeks)
Venue : HKU SPACE Learning Centre (usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay, Admiralty or North Point)
Module 2 – Community Nutrition Practicum (Part-time)
Supervised practicum will take place in Community Centers and clinics. Students will develop skills and knowledge to practice with a variety of service users and in a range of settings which will include: Community health talks/activities/workshops; Home visits; Site visits e.g. food bank, old age home and an elderly centres, Department of Health and Centre for Health Protection centers and clinics; Kitchen/meal service; Menu planning.
Students will be able to indicate preference; however, placement allocation will depend on availability of placements.
Duration : ~16 - 18 weeks
Venue : Community Centers and clinics
Fee & Entry Requirements
(a) (i) hold a bachelor’s degree in nutrition awarded by a recognised university; OR
(ii) hold a recognised professional qualification in dietetics;
(b) provide evidence of English proficiency (if the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English) such as:
(i) an overall band of 6.0 with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS;
(ii) a score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 in the internet-based TOEFL;
(iii) HKALE Use of English at Grade E;
(iv) equivalent qualifications.
(c) be able to speak and read Chinese effectively. In each case the candidate shall satisfy the Admissions Committee that he/she is unlikely to be disadvantaged in his/her studies by language.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview as appropriate.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$19990
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Postgraduate Certificate in Community Nutrition
|COURSE CODE 41E154599||FEES $19,990||ENQUIRY 2975-5881|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Certificate in Community Nutrition
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the special application form, together with relevant supporting documents and an application fee of HK$150 cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE" (non-refundable) to either:
By post: Attn to Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, 13/F., Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, Hong Kong. OR
In person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition)
By online: through HKU SPACE website.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Dietetics and Nutrition