Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
“Specialty coffee” is about all people involved in the coffee value chain work in harmony and maintain a keen focus on standards and excellence from start to finish, and these people include the coffee farmer, the green coffee buyer, the roaster, the barista, and the consumer.
This programme is designed to provide a sound introduction to essential barista skills, so that students could learn a range of complex job functions found in the barista profession.
It is a very comprehensive skill-based programme that covers how a barista sets the grinder, makes espressos, foams and textures milk for cappuccinos, and creates latte art. Through interactive activities, demonstrations and self-practice, students can prepare their own coffee and explore ways to improve coffee quality through a number of parameters, such as grinder calibration, espresso extraction and drinks construction. In addition, this programme also covers key concepts regarding health and safety, customer service and basic business practices of a café, such as workflow management, stock management, coffee menu description, and coffee equipment cleaning and maintenance.
This programme is suitable to those coffee enthusiasts so that they can deepen and broaden their coffee knowledge for social purpose; and those who wish to work with coffee as part of a larger beverage portfolio in the retail, wholesale and hospitality sectors, since students will acquire the job skills and competencies of being a barista. This programme is suitable to those who wish to open a cafe or work in a cafe as a barista.
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Describe and explain the routines and responsibilities of a barista in a café;
- Identify and describe the essential elements and processes that influence the aroma, flavor, body, texture and strength of an espresso;
- Describe the café operational management including customer service, workflow and stock management, health and safety, equipment cleaning and maintenance; and
- Demonstrate the milk foaming and latte art technique and prepare multiple espresso-based drinks.
WHY HKU SPACE?
- Graduates of our coffee programme will be awarded:
- HKU SPACE Certificate for Module (Specialty Coffee: Barista Skills - Foundation and Intermediate) 證書(單元 : 精品咖啡之初級及中級咖啡師技巧), awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
- "Barista Skills Foundation" certificate (e-certificate) by the SCA.
- "Barista Skills Intermediate" certificate (e-certificate) by the SCA.
- Students can taste various samples of coffees during the course of their studies, and they are systematically arranged by classroom session.
- Our coffee programme is taught by qualified professionals who are also experienced in coffee education.
- Our coffee programme will be delivered by a single teacher, where possible, throughout the entire course to ensure consistency in content and teaching style.
- All coffee beans are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized coffee suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the course.
- Small class-size (max.8) in our coffee programme brings about better teaching and learning, and enhances teacher-student interaction.
The programme consists of 30 face-to-face teaching hours, 3 hours in each session with coffee tasting, and they are structured into 10 sessions with the following key topics.
This syllabus is adapted from the Coffee Skills Diploma programme guidebooks by Specialty Coffee Association (SCA)
|2.||Workspace management and workflow|
|3.||Espresso process: Grind, Dose, Tamp|
|4.||Extraction and brewing|
|7.||Espresso based menu|
|8.||Cleaning, health and safety|
|10.||Customer service and café management|
ASSESSMENT AND AWARDS
This programme will be assessed by Two Tests. Setting and marking of the test papers are conducted/verified by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) or its Authorized SCA Trainers.
Students have to obtain a ‘Pass’ on all assessment components (see below table for details) and attain 70% attendance for completion of this Certificate for Module programme. Students who fail in any assessment components can apply for re-attempt subject to payment of retake fee.
Type of Assessment
|Test 1 (40%)||Online Multiple Choice Questions (22 minutes)||60% and above|
|Test 2 (60%)||
Section A: Online Multiple Choice and Short Questions (37 minutes);
Section B: Three sections (1, 2 & 3) in Practical Examinations (40 minutes)
Section A: 70% and above
Section B1: 50% and above
Section B2: 82.7% and above
Section B3: 64% and above
Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates will be awarded the 'Certificate for Module (Specialty Coffee: Barista Skills - Foundation and Intermediate) 證書(單元 : 精品咖啡之初級及中級咖啡師技巧)' within the HKU system through HKU SPACE. In addition, graduates of this programme with a mark of 60% attained in Test 1 will be awarded the “Barista Skills Foundation” Certificate by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA); Graduates of this programme with a mark of 70% attained in Test 2 Section A, 50% attained in Test 2 Section B1, 82.7% attained in Test 2 Section B2, and 64% attained in Test 2 Section B3 will be awarded the “Barista Skills Intermediate” Certificate by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA).
|Application Code||2065-1704AW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||01 Jan 2023 (Sun)|
|Apply Online Now|
- 30 hours
3 hours per session; 1-2 sessions per day
Our Coffee Tutor
Mr. Chris So
Chris has great passion in coffee and has been certified as a Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) Trainer since 2015. He holds the SCA Coffee Skills Diploma and is a licensed Q Arabica Grader of Coffee Quality Institute. Chris is a professional coffee consultant and his focus is on training, quality control and coffee buying. Chris has been a Head Judge for multiple Hong Kong Coffee Championships and he is also a Certified Sensory Judge for the World Barista Championship, World Brewers Cup, World Coffee in Good Spirits Championship and World Coffee Roasting Championship. Chris won the Hong Kong Coffee in Good Spirits Championship in 2018 and represented Hong Kong and ranked 8th at the World Championship. He has also successfully coached four Hong Kong Champions and one World Champion in Coffee.
In addition to his coffee knowledge, Chris is also a longstanding Wine and Spirit Educator at HKUSPACE and he is an international judge for Wine, Spirit, Sake and Beer. Chris was awarded the "Outstanding Teacher Award of HKUSPACE College of Business & Finance 2018/19" for his teaching excellence.
2012 Hong Kong Siphonist Champion
2013 Hong Kong Siphonist Champion
2013 World Siphonist Champion
2015 Hong Kong Brewers Cup Championship 2nd place
2016 Hong Kong Brewers Cup Championship Champion
2016 Hong Kong Latte Art Championship Champion
2017 World Latte Art Championship 5th place
2018 Hong Kong Siphonist Champion
2018 World Siphonist Champion 4th place
2018 Hong Kong Latte Art Championship Champion
2019 Hong Kong Brewers Cup Championship 3rd place
2013 Hong Kong Clever Cup Contest Champion
2016 Hong Kong Coffee Power Rangers Team Championship Champion
2018 Hong Kong Coffee in Good Spirits Champion
2018 World Coffee in Good Spirits Championship 8th Place
Mr. Keith Tse
Keith is a professional barista and has been working as a barista for over eight years. He is very passionate about coffee and he wishes to share coffee knowledge and professional techniques to more people by being an Authorized Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) Trainer. He holds the ‘Brewing Professional’ and ‘Barista Skills Professional’ from Specialty Coffee Association (SCA).He is an experienced teacher for barista programmes and he taught barista training programmes for nearly five years for ‘City & Guilds’ and ‘Employees Retraining Board (ERB)’. Students enjoy his coffee classes very much since he is a friendly and open-minded teacher delivering highly interactive and informative classes. His creativity in practicing latte art has brought him to a world-class level, and he won the Hong Kong Latte Art Championship in 2016, 2018 & 2021.
2016 Hong Kong Latte Art Championship – Champion
2017 World Latte Art Championship – 5th Place
2018 Hong Kong Latte Art Championship – Champion
2021 Hong Kong Latte Art Championship – Champion
Applicants shall not have any health conditions that made them unfit for coffee tasting.
- HK$17,100 per programme inclusive of:
1.) Learning materials in English
2.) Coffee tasting and hands-on practice
3.) Test Fee for SCA "Barista Skills Foundation" qualification
4.) Test Fee for SCA "Barista Skills Intermediate" qualification
5.) SCA certificate(s) (soft-copy) for each qualification upon successful completion
(Note: re-sit test fee is excluded)
Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) is a non-profit trade association worldwide, with a purpose to foster global coffee communities to support activities to make coffee a more sustainable, equitable and thriving activity for the whole value chain. The SCA acts as a unifying force within the specialty coffee industry and works to make coffee better by raising standards worldwide through a collaborative and progressive approach.
Graduates of this programme with a pass in Test 1 will be awarded the “Barista Skills Foundation” Certificate (soft copy) by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) and will score 5 points towards the SCA Coffee Skills Diploma;
Graduates of this programme with a pass in Test 2 will be awarded the “Barista Skills Intermediate” Certificate (soft copy) by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) and will score 10 points towards the SCA Coffee Skills Diploma.
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
- Relevant Programmes
- Certificate for Module (Specialty Coffee: Introduction to Coffee and Brewing Skills) Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Wines) Certificate for Module (Advanced Study in Wines) Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Spirits) 證書(單元 : 日本清酒大師) 日本梅酒實驗所 Certificate for Module (World Whisky Appreciation)