LawCommon Law and Professional Courses
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) Preparation Courses (University of London)
- Course Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 2 years to 6 years
Level 4 Modules (Year 1)(2nd Course):
From 3 October 2018
Levels 5 and 6 Modules (Year 2- Final Year):
From 20 August 2018
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) Preparation Courses (University of London)
Two students who studied with HKU SPACE for the University of London LLB have received First Class Honours in 2018. They are the only First Class students in Hong Kong, and among the only three on the graduate-entry LLB worldwide. Huge Congratulations!
Extract from the University of London https://laws.londoninternational.ac.uk/2018/08/14/a-record-twenty-three-firsts-for-2018/
Preparation courses designed for students taking University of London LLB examinations and open to all on a first-come-first-served basis. Lectures and revision classes are given by leading UK academics and teachers.
LL.B. degrees are studied not only by students who hope to become lawyers but also by those who feel that a Law qualification would help them in their present profession or who are interested in the modules offered. We provide preparatory courses for many of the University of London LL.B. modules including all compulsory modules.
University of London LL.B.
The LL.B. awarded by University of London is a long-standing, well-regarded qualification. For information see https://london.ac.uk/about-us/our-global-reputation
For information about the LL.B. see /f/programme/34132/257571/0903 LLB Leaflet.pdf
Students recognised by University of London as graduate entrants take 9 modules in a minimum of 2 years. Standard entrants (non-graduate) take 12 modules over a minimum of 3 years. Students may spread their studies over a longer period, subject to the programme regulations and graduate entrants are strongly encouraged to do so.
Preparation courses offered in 2018/2019:
- Legal System and Method
- Contract Law
- Criminal Law
- Public Law
- Tort Law
- Jurisprudence and Legal Theory
Optional Modules (subject to demand)
- Property Law
- Equity and Trusts (To be offered in 2019/2020)
- Commercial Law
- Company Law
- Civil and Criminal Procedure
- Family Law
These LL.B. preparation courses are designed for candidates for University of London examinations but can also be taken by other students. Attending these courses is not compulsory but will greatly improve a candidate's chances of success in the examinations.
(The provisional timetable for all prep. courses are now available. Please click "here" to download the timetable for further details.)
University of London provides course materials for all modules of the LL.B. programme. HKU SPACE visiting lecturers provide supplementary materials including lecture notes and legal updates. Seminars will be provided for all Level 4 modules and some other modules. 'Mock' examinations will be held for the four Level 4 modules and Jurisprudence and Legal Theory module. Subject to demand we may offer mock examinations for other modules for a separate fee. Please note that it is not possible to enrol only for revision classes.
Students who wish to take the LL.B. examinations must register as overseas students with University of London by 1 October 2018 and then register for the specific examinations in good time. New registrations for all University of London are processed by HKU SPACE. Separate registration and examination entry fees are payable to University of London and to the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority (HKEAA).
Those students wishing to qualify as lawyers in Hong Kong must complete the P.C.LL. course. From 2008 additional admission requirements have been imposed for the P.C.LL. For full details see http://www.hku.hk/pcll/eligibility.php and www.pcea.com.hk. Those wishing to apply for P.C.LL. must also have completed an IELTS test within three years of application and should have an overall 7.
Completion of the University of London LL.B. confers partial exemption from the P.C.LL. admission requirements.
Students who wish to obtain a U.K. qualifying Law degree for progressing to Legal Practice/Bar courses in England and Wales must pass European Union Law. Students should refer to the LL.B. structure and outlines contained in the University of London prospectus to ensure that they enrol for the correct modules (https://london.ac.uk/courses/bachelor-laws#structure).
To study in Hong Kong, all non-local applicants are required to obtain a student visa issued by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government, except for those admitted to Hong Kong as dependants, who do not need prior approval before taking up full-time and part-time studies. Non-local applicants issued with a valid employment visa also do not need prior approval to pursue part-time studies. It is the responsibility of individual applicants to make appropriate visa arrangements. Admission to a HKU SPACE academic programme/course does not guarantee the issue of a student visa. Applicants may wish to note that part-time courses are generally NOT considered by the Immigration Department for visa purposes except for self-financed, part-time locally accredited taught postgraduate programmes awarded within the HKU System through HKU SPACE.
- University Main Campus and Centennial Campus, Pokfulam Road, HK (Exit A2, HKU MTR Station)
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
University of London Registration:
The entry requirements for the University of London LL.B. programme are:
Graduate entry route - a degree in a non-law discipline
Standard entry route (non-graduate) -
- 5 HKDSE Category A subjects at Level '33+222'; or
- either, 2 "A" level and 3 "O" level passes (not necessarily obtained in one sitting); or, equivalent
The University of London reserves the right to request applicants to provide evidence acceptable to it of oral and written competence in English before making an offer of registration. See https://london.ac.uk/applications/how-apply/am-i-qualified
HKU SPACE Preparation Courses:
First come, first-served
- HK$9,000 (per module [Level 4] for single prep. course enrolment)
- HK$8,000 (per module [Level 4] for enrolment in any 2 or more prep. courses in a single transaction)
- HK$7,500 (per module [Level 5 and 6 prep. courses except Jurisprudence and Legal Theory prep. course])
- HK$8,000 (Level 6 Jurisprudence and Legal Theory prep. course)
- £ (Separate fees in sterling are payable to the University of London for registration and examinations)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
The following University of London brochures are available from University of London (Admissions Office), Room 313, 3/F, Admiralty Centre:
- University of London: Undergraduate programmes in Law prospectus with application form for registration with the University of London (https://hkuspace.hku.hk/londonu)
- University of London LL.B. Preparation Courses leaflet.
These contain full information about University of London regulations and requirements.
Preparation Courses Enrolment is on a first-come, first-served basis. Early enrolment is strongly recommended.Payment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to "HKU SPACE". Please specify the programme title(s) for application, student's name, and student card no. (if applicable). You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fee in the form of a cheque to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying 'Course Application' on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including "HKU SPACE MasterCard", at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment for courses with a tuition fee of HK$2,000 to $40,000. The cardholder must also be the course applicant himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any of the enrolment centres.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable or transferable.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for $30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE". Such copies will normally only be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of
- Common Law and Professional Courses