Accounting & FinanceFinance and Compliance
Advanced Diploma in FinTech
CEF Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 20 Jan 2021 (Wed)
- Next intake(s)
- 1 year
The programme aims to provide fundamental knowledge on finance applications of blockchain technology, digital currencies, big data and financial analytics. It covers digital banking, payment systems, blockchain, cryptocurrencies, peer to peer lending, crowdfunding, quantitative methods in financial analysis and big data analytics in finance. The programme develops students with programming skills in Python and put them into practice to solve real world finance problems.
This programme helps prepare students to start their career in FinTech with our practitioner-led education in a stimulating package. Various enrichment activities such as visits and guest talks will be arranged for students which will be a useful networking platform with industry practitioners in FinTech.
HKU SPACE WINS THE INSTITUTE OF FINANCIAL TECHNOLOGISTS OF ASIA (IFTA) FINTECH EDUCATION HONORARY AWARD 2019
HKU SPACE won the IFTA FinTech Education Honorary Award 2019 which recognised its efforts in offering the Advanced Diploma in FinTech. IFTA FinTech Education Honorary Awards 2019, with the theme “Transforming FinTech Communities with Competence, Character, and Care”, recognised talents and enterprises in pursuing innovative educational programmes in FinTech. It is aligned with the School’s educational mission and the values of “Lifelong Learning for a Better Future”.
- Taught by seasoned practitioners in FinTech
- Get latest insights from FinTech field
- Fast-track, one-year part-time programme with 6 modules
- Interactive case studies
- In-class FinTech application simulations
Financial services sector has been much revolutionized by the impacts of globalization and advancement in financial technology (FinTech). In its broadest usage, FinTech refers to the application of IT within financial services from virtual banking, trade financing, payments and fund transfers, financial risk management cybersecurity and data analytics. New initiatives in FinTech area include faster payment system, common QR code, virtual banking, blockchain for trade finance, open Application Programming Interface (API) framework, etc.
According the Financial Services Development Council (FSDC) study report of “The Future of FinTech in Hong Kong” in 2017, a number of new potential initiatives in the development of FinTech in Hong Kong were pointed out, including WealthTech and InsurTech using the technology of data analytics, automation and Artificial Intelligence (AI). Shaped by FinTech development and financial service innovation, finance professionals are required to acquire new skills in FinTech.
Mr. Calvin Cheng, Founder & CEO, Wizpresso
Calvin is the founder and CEO of Wizpresso, a technology company that transforms unstructured enterprise data into insights. Calvin has more than 7 years’ experience in business development, strategy and product in finance and technology. He previously worked in Global Banking at HSBC, where he covered client strategy and business development for institutional clients across Asia-Pacific. He was a board member of the Asia Advisory Board and president of the alumni association for Ivey Business School from 2016-2018. Calvin holds an Honors Business Administration (HBA) degree with distinction from Ivey Business School and CFA.
Dr. Ringo Chan - Senior Programme Director, HKU SPACE
Dr. Ringo Chan has extensive experience in programme development and administrative management of both full-time and part-time programmes ranging from sub-degree to Master degree level in business and finance. He obtained his EdD from the University of Leicester. With more than 12 years of teaching experience, he has specialised in teaching investment management, global financial markets and behavioural finance. He is a financial writer at China Daily and serves as the member of advisory group of Investor Education Centre, mentor of the University of Hong Kong and honorary flight lieutenant of the Hong Kong Air Cadet Corps. His current academic research focuses on lifelong education, educational psychology and financial management. His articles have published in journals such as Active Learning in Higher Education and International Journal of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning.
Managing Director of Pegasus Fund Managers Limited; Co-Founder & Chairman of IFTA
Managing Director of LKKC CPA Limited; Co-Founder & Vice Chairman of IFTA
Director of ESG Matters; Co-Founder of IFTA
Chairman of Cyberport; Advisor of IFTA
Co-Founder & Co-CEO of Bowtie; Council Member of IFTA
Head of International Coverage of HSBC; Council Member of IFTA
Managing Partner of ImpactInvest; Council Member of IFTA
Board Members of The Hong Kong Society of Financial Analysts; Council Member of IFTA
Deputy Chairman of BC Group
Jason Lau, Adjunct Professor
Chief Information Security Officer of Crypto.com
On completion of the Programme, students should be able to :
- Describe the general FinTech landscape and FinTech jargons in the financial service industry;
- Apply the principles and quantitative skills in financial analysis;
- Write programme functions in Python and process data files in finance applications;
- Discuss the impacts of blockchain applications in financial services;
- Outline how big data analytics enable new financial and commercial processes.
The programme consists of 6 modules over 3 terms within 1 year.
- Module 1: Introduction to FinTech (36 lecture hours + 6 computer lab)
- Module 2: Principles of Finance (30 lecture hours)
- Module 3: Programming for FinTech Applications (36 lecture hours + 6 computer lab)
- Module 4: Quantitative Methods for Finance (30 lecture hours)
- Module 5: Blockchain Applications and FinTech (30 lecture hours)
- Module 6: Big Data Applications and Financial Analytics (30 lecture hours)
Students are required to complete modules 1 to 4 before proceeding to modules 5 and 6.
Upon completion of the programme, students will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE an Advanced Diploma in Financial Technology.
The programme covers part of the body of knowledge of Certified Financial Technologist (CFT) examination offered by the Institute of Financial Technologist of Asia (IFTA). For details, please go to: https://cftasia.org/ FinTech field trips will be organized in collaboration with the IFTA to enrich students’ learning experience in areas of big data, digital payment, blockchain, AI, crytocurrencies, cyber security, and other FinTech solutions. The field trips include FinTech company visits in Cyberport and Science Park in Hong Kong. During the field trip visits, demonstration of latest solution in FinTech and informative talks by the company representatives will be arranged.
Intoduction to FinTech
This module introduces the basic concepts of FinTech, covering the emerging technologies of FinTech and regulatory challenges in FinTech. It examines main FinTech landscape including digital payment, peer to peer lending, cryptocurrencies, robo-advisor and regulatory technologies.
Principles of Finance
This module aims to introduce basic concepts in finance and financial valuation models. It covers the main features of international stock and bond markets, fundamental features of bond analysis and trading, key features of global stock markets, equity valuation and risk management.
Programming for FinTech Applications
This module will introduce the basics of the Python programming environment, including fundamental Python and R programming techniques and the use for various libraries. It will cover data manipulation and cleaning techniques using the popular Python data science library.
Quantitative Methods for Finance
This module provides students with the basic quantitative tools commonly used in business finance. Particular emphasis will be placed on the applications of statistical techniques in business and financial decision analysis.
Blockchain Applications and FinTech
This module aims to offer students with a foundation of blockchain technology in the finance and investment fields. It gives an overview of the blockchain applications and introduces students to the regulatory issues of blockchain.
Big Data Applications and Financial Analytics
This course equips students with the fundamental concepts and skill to apply financial analytics in finance and investment. Students can learn basic algorithmic and statistical techniques and hands-on application to perform big data analysis.
Jan 2021 Intake - Tentative timetable
Introduction to FinTech
(36 lecture hours + 6 computer lab)
|Starting from 22 Jan 2021 for 12 week|
Principles of Finance
(30 lecture hours)
|Starting from 20 Jan 2021 for 10 week|
The above tentative timetable may be subject to change without prior notice.
Venue: HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) Campus (at Causeway Bay) or other locations in Hong Kong Island.
Applicants shall have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in 5 subjects including English Language and Chinese Lauguage or equivalent.
Applicants who do not possess the above academic qualifications but are aged 21 or above with relevant work experience will be considered on individual merit.
Module 1: Introduction to FinTech $6,000
Module 2: Principles of Finance $4,250
Module 3: Programming for FinTech Applications $6,000
Module 4: Quantitative Methods for Finance $4,250
Module 5: Blockchain Applications and FinTech $4,250
Module 6: Big Data Applications and Financial Analytics $4,250
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Introduction to FinTech (Module from Advanced Diploma in FinTech)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z130223||FEES $6,000||ENQUIRY 2867-8312|
|Principles of Finance (Module from Advanced Diploma in FinTech)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z130231||FEES $4,250||ENQUIRY 2867-8312|
|Programming for FinTech Applications (Module from Advanced Diploma in FinTech)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z13024A||FEES $6,000||ENQUIRY 2867-8312|
|Quantitative Methods for Finance (Module from Advanced Diploma in FinTech)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z130258||FEES $4,250||ENQUIRY 2867-8312|
|Blockchain Applications and FinTech (Module from Advanced Diploma in FinTech)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z130266||FEES $4,250||ENQUIRY 2867-8312|
|Big Data Applications and Financial Analytics (Module from Advanced Diploma in FinTech)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z130274||FEES $4,250||ENQUIRY 2867-8312|
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Advanced Diploma in Financial Technology
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
1. Please complete APPLICATION FORM and submit them in person at any of the following SPACE enrolment centre:
- HKU Campus Room 304, 3/F, T.T. Tsui Building, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, H.K. (Next to Swire Hall); Tel: 2975 5680 Fax: 2546 3538 (Opening Hours: Weekdays - 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Saturdays – Closed)
- Admiralty Learning Centre 3/F, Admiralty Centre, 18 Harcourt Road, H.K. (access via the Shopping Arcade escalators through Exit A, Admiralty MTR Station); Tel: 3761 1111 Fax: 2559 4666 (Opening Hours: Weekdays - 8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.; Saturdays - 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.)
- HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Community College (HPCC) Campus 1/F, HPCC Campus, 66 Leighton Road, Causeway Bay, H.K.; Tel: 3923 7171 Fax: 3923 7188 (Opening Hours: Weekdays - 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.; Saturdays – Closed)
- Fortress Tower Learning Centre 1/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, H.K. (Exit B, Fortress Hill MTR Station); Tel: 3762 0888 Fax: 2508 9349 (Opening Hours: Weekdays - 8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.; Saturdays – Closed)
- Island East Campus 2/F, 494 King's Road, North Point, H.K. (Exit B3, North Point MTR Station); Tel: 3762 0000 Fax: 2214 9493 (Opening Hours: Weekdays - 8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.; Saturdays - 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.)
- Kowloon East Campus 1/F, 28, Wang Hoi Road, Kowloon Bay (Exit B, Kowloon Bay MTR Station); Tel: 3762 2222 Fax: 2305 5070 (Opening Hours: Weekdays - 8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.; Saturdays - 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.)
2. All applications must be accompanied by:
a) Photostat copies of full educational certificates and transcripts.
b) Testimonials or other documentary proof of the applicant's working experience.
c) A separate non-refundable crossed cheque payable to 'HKU SPACE' for HK$200 in respect of the application processing fee. Application fee and course fee can be paid by credit cards at HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
Note : When submitting your application in person at any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, please bring along the originals of your educational certificates / transcripts and documentary proof of working experience for certification at the enrolment centres. Late applications may only be considered at the discretion of the Course Director.Payment Method
1. Cheque or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to "HKU SPACE". Please specify the programme title(s) for application, student's name, and student card no. (if applicable). You may either:
bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including "HKU SPACE MasterCard", at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment for courses with a tuition fee of HK$2,000 to $40,000. The cardholder must also be the course applicant himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any of the enrolment centres.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances, subject to the School's discretion.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries of the relevant subject area for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of $120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for $30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE". Such copies will normally only be issued at the end of a course.
- Classes are expected to be held at HKU SPACE learning centers. The health and safety of our students is our top priority. If the situation in Hong Kong requires. HKU SPACE reserves the right to move some classes to other locations, including online teaching platforms.
- More Programmes of
- Finance and Compliance