Social Sciences Psychology & Counselling
This programme enables mental health practitioners to gain practical knowledge about the foundations, the basic philosophies, history of development and research evidence of Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy and its effectiveness. It integrates the mindfulness paradigm into mental health and explores ways to incorporate mindfulness into therapeutic work for clients with mental health concerns. By learning specific skills in Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy and Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy, it promotes continuous professional development of students to apply this evidence-based intervention appropriately for helping people with different mental health issues. Finally, it allows reflective practice on the benefits and limitations of this approach and ethical concerns and risk management in its application.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to :
- Expound the basic knowledge of mindfulness in stress reduction and mental health promotion;
- Explain the process of self-care and helping others through reflective practice of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy;
- Critically review research and practical skills of Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy cum Mindfulness-Based Psychotherapy in working with mental health problems;
- Critically synthesize reflection on personal and professional development of a mindful counsellor in sharing the evidence-based practice with fellow professionals;
- Critically discuss ethical considerations in helping others through mindfulness practice; and
- Practise common applications of Mindfulness-Based Psychotherapy for mental health problems in class and group supervision.
The main target group of the Certificate for Module Course are those who have background in mental healthcare or in the helping professions industry. The Course is also open to registered professionals of teachers, counsellors, social workers, or other mental health practitioners.
- Introduction and definition of mindfulness.
- History of mindfulness and its application to stress reduction and prevention of depression and other mental health concerns.
- Pertinent research findings of mindfulness practice, including health and wellbeing outcomes.
- Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy - Life Training Programme (MBCT-L).
- Professional development of the MBCT teacher.
- Components, process, and stages of mindfulness practice - awareness and automatic pilot; living in our heads; recognizing aversion; gathering the scattered mind; allowing/letting be; thoughts are not facts; how can I best take care of myself? And maintaining and extending new learning.
- On becoming a mindful counsellor - Bringing mindfulness into the counselling room and cultivating mindfulness in the therapeutic relationship.
- Deepening therapeutic presence - focusing the mind and developing awareness of the body.
- Mindfulness of emotions and the staying with difficult emotions.
- Bringing loving-kindness and compassion to practice.
- Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy for anxiety and depression.
- Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy for changing habits / addictive behaviours.
- Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy for interpersonal difficulties.
- Ethical considerations and risk-managements in the approach.
- Supervised counselling practice using Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy - practice as a mindful therapist, applying learning into practice.
Upon completion of the programme, students will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE "Certificate for Module (Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy)".
Days / Time
- Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. - 10:00p.m.
- 20 Lectures: Tuesdays, 7 February 2023 - 20 June 2023
1 day workshop: Sunday,19 March 2023 (10am - 5pm)
- Hold a professional qualification in mental or physical healthcare; or
- Have a bachelor’s degree or above in relevant disciplines of education, psychology, social work or counselling.
Applicants with other acceptable qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Course Fee : HK$11,800
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy)
|COURSE CODE 44C137040||FEES $11,800||ENQUIRY 2975-5657|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applications should submit: i) a completed application form*, ii) copies of academic certificates, iii) a copy of HKID card or passport^, and iv) course fee of HK$11,800 by crossed cheque (payable to "HKU SPACE").
Ms. Sophie Wong
HKU SPACE, 11/F, Fortress Tower,
250 King’s Road,
North Point, H.K.
( Remarks: Application for Certificate for Module (Mindfulness-based Psychotherapy) )
* Application forms can be obtained from any HKU SPACE Learning Centres or download from http://hkuspace.hku.hk/assets/ files/SF26.pdf. Please be reminded to write down the application codes clearly. [ Application code: 2070-CS053A]
^Applicants will be asked to present their HKID cards or passports for verification if apply at one of the HKU SPACE enrolment counters, or to attach a copy of their HKID cards or passports if applying by post.
- More Programmes of
- Psychology & Counselling