This programme is designed by Dr Huang Zhenyu, who previously taught at China Foreign Affairs University and was once a visiting scholar with Stanford University. Dr Huang had also served in the PRC Ministry of Foreign Affairs for a long time.
This programme aims to introduce consular laws and practice of the People’s Republic of China, with special focus on the consular practice in relation to the Hong Kong SAR and its residents. Knowledge about China’s consular laws and practice is important as Hong Kong is an international city with high international mobility, interaction and transaction, and its residents make frequent travels to different places across the globe.
Intended Learning Outcomes
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Analyse the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations 1963 and major PRC laws related to consular affairs;
- Examine and explain key concepts, principles and theories in consular affairs;
- Identify and examine various consular functions under PRC laws and the consular functions in relation to Hong Kong SAR;
- Analyse and explain PRC passport and visa systems.
|Application Code||2165-LW029A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Modules & Class Details
- Introduction to consular affairs
- Consular relations
- Consular privileges and immunities
- Consular treaties and honorary consuls
- Consular functions
- Protection of nationals
- PRC passport system and visas
- Consular functions in relation to Hong Kong SAR
- A one-hour in-class quiz (multiple choice and short questions) on concepts, principles and theories (30%); and
- A 3,000-word individual paper on consular functions and practice (70%)
Students who have passed all assessments and have attended not less than 70% of all scheduled classes will be awarded Certificate for Module (PRC Consular Law and Practice) within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Dr Huang Zhenyu (黃振宇) was a senior lecturer with China Foreign Affairs University until 2022 and was once a visiting scholar with Stanford University. He had previously served in the PRC Ministry of Foreign Affairs in several senior posts, including Counselor of the Office of the Commission of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong SAR (2016-2019); Vice Consul General of Chinese Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2012-2015); deputy director of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2002-2012); a secretary attaché in a Chinese embassy in Ghana (1996-2002). He received an Honor of Third Degree from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in recognition of evacuating Chinese citizens from the war-torn Libya.
Duration : 30 hours (Part-time)
Delivery Mode : Face-to-face
Teaching Medium : English (supplemented with Putonghua)
Meeting Time : 7:00 - 10:00 p.m. (Wednesday)
Meeting Venue : Main Campus, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong/HKU SPACE Learning Centres
Fee & Entry Requirements
- Course Fee : HK$7,800 per programme (to be paid on notification of acceptance)
Applicants shall hold:
- a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognised university; or
- an associate degree or a higher diploma awarded by a recognised post-secondary institution.
Applicants are expected to be able to read simplified Chinese texts.
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
All applications must be accompanied by supporting documents. This means you must submit a clearly readable copy in English of all pages of your undergraduate/an equivalent qualification full transcript. If your application is successful, you may be required to show us the originals of the documents you submitted before your place is confirmed.
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Please visit programme website https://hkuspace.hku.hk/prog/cert-for-module-prc-consular-law-and-practice for details.
Or you can post the completed application form (Ref: LW029A), together with clearly readable copies of all the required documents, to: HKU SPACE, 3/F, Admiralty Centre, 18 Harcourt Road, Hong Kong [Ref: LW029A Application].
Please check the current opening hours for enrollment counters of HKU SPACE Learning Centres at https://hkuspace.hku.hk/learning-centre. Bring this application form together with both the originals and copies of all required documents with you (this will avoid you being asked for the originals later).