Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Sports, Exercise and Recreation Management
The programme will enable students to examine and analyse a range of legal areas which specifically affect stakeholders within the sports industry.
It will provide students with a range of theoretical legal frameworks for them to apply in the local and international sports context. Students will engage through lectures, case studies, and group activities, and will ideally link the theoretical knowledge of these key sports’ legal concepts to their own jobs and workplaces.
Duration of Study
Students can complete the programme in 3 months (Part-time). Classes will be conducted on weekday evenings.
The medium of instruction is English.
Programme Intended Learning Outcome
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
1. discuss the nature and functions of law in the sport industry context;
2. evaluate the concept of corporate governance in sports organisations;
3. examine the key legal concepts in relation to local and international sports;
4. analyse sports related cases and suggest solutions from a legal perspective.
1. Overview of legal aspects that specifically affect the sports industry;
2. The concept of good governance in sports sector;
3. Law of torts and sports;
4. Overview of sports contracts;
5. Commercialisation of sports properties;
6. Intellectual property law in sports;
7. Overview of the agency law in sports;
8. Overview of the competition law in sports;
9. Overview of the employment law in Hong Kong;
10. Overview of the specific sports issues
Assessment include individual written assignment.
To complete the programme, students are required to achieve 70% attendance of the programme and pass all the assignments. Upon successful completion, students will be awarded the Certificate for Module (Sports Law) within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
- an overall band of 6.0 or above with no sub scores lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$7000
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
Checklist of Application Documents
- Application for Enrolment Form SF26; AND
- Application fee: HK$150 (non-refundable)
- Certificate and supporting document (e.g. Academic qualification, professional certification, etc.)
Applicants may pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
Cheque Or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.