The Certificate in Business English Usage programme aims to help students become more accurate and fluent when communicating in English in the modern workplace. Its goal is to equip students with essential business grammar, vocabulary and all-round language skills, so that they become capable of communicating with native and non-native speakers of English in common business settings. By gaining a greater confidence and a better command of business English grammar, vocabulary, receptive and productive skills, students will be prepared to further develop a higher level of business English proficiency upon completion of the programme. This programme targets working professionals who intend to build on an introductory level of English, so as to bolster their work performance in a business environment where English is the predominant medium of communication.
Upon successful completion of the Programme, students should be able to:
1. apply essential business grammar rules in speaking and writing;
2. use appropriate business vocabulary and standard phrases in communication in the modern workplace;
3. utilise reading, listening and simple writing skills in different scenario-based tasks;
4. present basic details of products and businesses using appropriate language; and
5. write brief business correspondence and short survey reports.
The syllabus covers extensive topics that are commonly represented in international business environments:
In addition to face-to-face class lessons, students should take part in e-learning activities as self-study engagement. These e-learning activities are available on HKU SPACE Online Universal Learning (SOUL2.0) platform which include supplementary online tasks related to course book content (grammar and vocab quizzes, listening comprehension, etc). This helps lay a good language foundation.
Course participants' progress are measured through a number of assessment components including:
- Class participation
- Oral presentation
- Written sssessments
- Mid-term and final tests
- Individual Writing Portfolio
Students who successfully pass* the Programme are eligible to attain the Certificate in Business English Usage awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
*By passing the Programme, students have to meet the following:
- Attendance requirement: 70% of the total lecture hours; and
- Performance requirement: 50% in all assessment components.
After successful completion of the Certificate in Business English Usage programme, participants may progress to the Certificate in Advanced Business English programme (please refer to the hyperlink below).
Instructor(s) of the Programme are drawn from our panel of qualified and experienced English language team. Some of them are native speakers; others are local teachers with native speaker competence.
Notes to Applicants
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
Days / Time
- Friday, 6:45pm - 9:45pm
- 30 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
1. hold a Certificate in General English (Foundation) with Merit (Credit) / Distinction, or a Certificate in General English (Introductory) awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE;
2. have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in English Language;
3. have obtained in the HKCEE Grade E (Syllabus B) or Grade C (Syllabus A) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 2 in English Language from 2007.
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- Applicants may be required to take a written test in English.
Applicants who do not meet the above requirements or are unable to produce documentary proof(s) need to take the SPACE Business English Entry Test. There is a non-refundable charge of $200 for this 90-minute written test. Based on the test results, applicants will be placed in a Business English programme most suited to their levels.
The test results will be released in good time to enable successful applicants to enrol for the programme of their choice.
- Course Fee : HK$8,000
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS Or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
3. VISA/Master Card
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
Notes to Applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to “HKU SPACE” to any of our enrolment centres.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of
- Relevant Programmes
- English at Work - Email Writing (1) English at Work - Impromptu Talk and Discussion Landing an Ideal Job in the UK: Application Writing and Interviewing Skills for Job Seekers Getting into Your Dream University in the UK: Application Writing and Interviewing Skills for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Applicants