Social Sciences Psychology & Counselling
Certificate in Cognitive Psychology
CEF Reimbursable Course
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 07 Aug 2021 (Sat)
- 7 months
- English, supplemented with Cantonese
- Course Fee
This programme provides the basic knowledge of cognitive psychology, cognitive science and machine learning to individuals who want to pursue their further studies in the fields of psychology, cognitive science, quantitative psychology, data science, big data analytics, artificial intelligence, or other related disciplines in bachelor’s or postgraduate’s programmes at universities.
(Note: This is an introductory level programme, so no programming background is required.)
Training in cognitive science prepares students admirably well for many of the disciplines that are targeted as the major growth fields of the 21st century, e.g., psychology, education, data science, medical analysis, virtual reality, artificial intelligence. As the world is enclosed by the information age, cognitive psychologists will be uniquely positioned to deal with this information. The programme aims to establish foundations for individuals who want to pursue their studies in the areas of psychology, cognitive science, neuroscience, data science, etc.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- describe the history and development of cognitive science;
- describe the role of cognitive science in the field of psychology;
- explain the concept and the development of language;
- explain the differences between human vision and computer vision;
- apply the fundamental concepts of machine learning and the programming basics in cognitive psychology;
- identify the role of cognitive psychology in developing the technologies behind artificial intelligence, and of the foundational concepts those technologies provide back to cognitive psychology.
- From cognitive psychology to cognitive science: Classification and clustering
- From cognitive psychology to cognitive science: Language
- From cognitive psychology to cognitive science: Human vision, computer vision, and neural science
- Basics of programming
- Concepts about machine learning
Upon completion of the programme, students will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE "Certificate in Cognitive Psychology".
(Remark: For some sessions, students are required to bring laptops for in-class exercises. Prior notice will be given.)
Days / Time
- Saturday, 2:00p.m. - 6:00p.m.
- 25 meeting(s)
(a) have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in five subjects including English Language, Chinese Language, Mathematics, Liberal Studies and 1 elective subject; or
(b) have gained in the HKCEE Grade E in 3 subjects and Level 2 in Chinese Language and English Language*; or
(c) have gained in the HKALE Grade E in 1 AL subject or 2 AS subjects
* With effect from 2007, HKU SPACE recognises Grade E previously awarded for Chinese Language and English Language (Syllabus B) (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A)) at HKCEE as an acceptable alternative to Level 2 in these two subjects at HKCEE.
* Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate in Cognitive Psychology
|COURSE CODE 44C106056||FEES $9,700||ENQUIRY 2975-5865|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate in Cognitive Psychology
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should submit: i) a completed application form, ii) copies of academic certificates, iii) a copy of HKID card or passport, iv) an application fee of HK$150 by crossed cheque (payable to “HKU SPACE”) to the following address:
Ms. Emma Ng
HKU SPACE, 11/F, Fortress Tower,
250 King’s Road,
North Point, H.K.
(Remarks: Application for Certificate in Cognitive Psychology)