Through systematic and innovative delivery of flexible learning (i.e. real-time online lectures, face-to-face classroom teaching and self-paced asynchronous e-learning) blended with flipped classroom pedagogy (pre-lecture learning), this programme provides students with greater accessibility to English language resources, ample test-based practice and student-centred learning experience.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
1. familiarise thoroughly with the test structure, question formats, assessment criteria and types of IELTS;
2. answer different types of questions from multiple topics in each section of IELTS;
3. analyse and apply the language skills and test-taking strategies needed for each type of question; and
4. identify the common mistakes and how to avoid them when answering the test questions.
The syllabus covers extensive topics:
In addition to face-to-face class lessons, students should take part in e-learning activities as self-study engagement. These e-learning activities are available on HKU SPACE Online Universal Learning (SOUL2.0) platform which include supplementary online tasks related to course book content (grammar and vocab quizzes, listening comprehension, etc). This helps lay a good language foundation.
Course participants' progress are measured through a number of assessment components including:
- Class Participation and E-learning activities
- Writing Test
- Speaking Test
- Reading Test
- Listening Test
- Final Mock Test
Students who successfully pass* the Programme are eligible to attain the Certificate in IELTS Preparation for Academic and Professional Purposes awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
*By passing the Programme, students have to meet the following:
- Attendance requirement: 70% of the total 90 lecture hours; and
- Performance requirement: 50% overall pass.
Students have to attend 30 teaching-learning sessions (3 hours per session; twice a week; total 90 hours) comprising:
- 45 hours' face-to-face lectures
- 45 hours' real-time online lectures
To heighten learning outcomes, students have to spend a minimum of 12 additional hours on e-learning exercises and activities.
|Application Code||Commencement||Day / Time||Venue|
17 Aug 2023
7:00 - 10:00 pm
|19 Aug 2023
(Real-time Online; every Saturday)
6:00 - 9:00 pm
Instructor(s) of the Programme are drawn from our panel of qualified English language teachers with rich experience in IELTS preparation and assessment, improve test-takers' language abilities and enhance their band scores.
Notes to Applicants
- Applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Unless changes are made to the advertised details, we do not usually issue joining instructions. If your application has been accepted, you should go to the first session of the class at the time and place shown.
- No refunds or transfers to a different class will be approved.
|Start Date||17 Aug 2023 (Thu)|
- 30 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
Fee & Entry Requirements
1. hold a Certificate in General English (Intermediate), Foundation Certificate in Business English Usage, or Certificate in Business English Usage (Foundation), or Certificate in Business English Usage awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
2. have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 3 in English Language; or
3. have obtained in the HKCEE Grade D (Syllabus B) or Grade B (Syllabus A) in English Language prior to 2007 or Level 3 in English Language from 2007 onwards.
Applicants with equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merit. Those who fail to provide evidence of their English proficiency level or qualifications will be required to take a test in English.
- Course Fee : HK$9,900
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course fees in the form of a cheque, and supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
Notes to Applicants
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
- More Programmes of