Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Medical Sciences
Graduates may further their post-secondary studies in the fields of biological science, nutritional science, biomedical science, environmental science, pharmaceutical science, nursing studies or forensic science. They may seek employment as trainees in either medical/ food/ environmental/ microbiology/ pharmaceutical testing laboratories or sales executives for medical and laboratory equipment. With further training at degree or postgraduate level, they may seek appointments as registered medical technologists, academics/researchers in universities, laboratory managers or scientific officers in government laboratories.
(EDB YouTube Channel: TGK1aQQPwtc): https://www.youtube.com/embed/TGK1aQQPwtc
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Describe the roles and functions of the different clinical specialties of medical laboratory;
- Apply practical skills and problem solving skills in medical laboratory practice;
- Interpret specific laboratory test result and correlate it to health conditions;
- Describe the work ethics and demonstrate positive understanding of safety precautions in medical laboratory practice;
- Recognize the importance of quality assurance in a medical laboratory practice;
- Develop self-understanding for further studies and career development in the related field.
Mode of Delivery
It is delivered in a full-time mode with face-to-face lectures and case-study tutorials. Emphasis will be on laboratory and technical aspects with demonstrations and hands-on laboratory practicals.
The programme can be delivered in English only.
The 180-hour course will commence in the mid-September and lasts for 2 calendar years. Three-hour lesson* is held every Saturday morning / afternoon in the HKU SPACE Learning Centres or HKU SPACE partner School. Summer class will be arranged.
* The duration for some lessons or laboratory practical is 6 hours (10:00 to 17:30) and during the summer (July-August)
Students are required to take 8 assessment tasks, inlcuding 2 written tests, 2 written exercises, 1 pracitcal assessment, 2 laboratory reports, 1 project and presentation. Each of which aims to evaluate the students' knowledge, understanding and skills related to the medical laboratory profession, and their generic skills in authentic contexts.
"Certificate in Medical Laboratory Science (Senior Secondary Applied Learning)" is awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE to student who successfully completed the programme and achieved at least 80% attendance.
GUIDELINES FOR GRADING
TIMETABLE (ONLY FOR APL STUDENT USE)
2023-2025 Cohort (EC)
Modules & Class Details
Students are required to complete 4 taught modules within the period of two calendar years. The five modules cover the topics essential to the medical laboratory science services. Scientific knowledge and skills that form the basis of medical laboratory analysis and the various stages of medical laboratory testing will be taught. Other important issues, such as the laboratory safety, sample collection/handling and quality assurance will also be discussed:
Module 1. Medical Laboratory (18 hours)
- Introduction to Medical Laboratory Technologist Profession
- Facilities and Instruments in the Medical Laboratory
- Medical Laboratory Safety
- Laboratory Calculations
Module 2. Fundamental Scientific Knowledge (54 hours)
- Human and Cell Biology
- Applied Immunology
- Genetics and Molecular Biology
- Molecular Diagnostic Techniques
Module 3. Laboratory Management & Communication (15 hours)
- Introduction to Laboratory Management
- Reliability of Laboratory Testing Results and Quality Assurance
- Specimen Collection, Handling, and Storage
- Communication Skills in the Healthcare setting
Module 4. Medical Laboratory Testing (81 hours)
- Clinical Biochemistry & Toxicology
- Hematology & Serology
- Histopathology & Cytology
- Medical Microbiology
Medical Laboratory Visits (12 hours)
Fee & Entry Requirements
Applicants shall be the current Secondary 4 students who are following the senior secondary curriculum recommended by the Curriculum Development Council (CDC).
Students must submit their application through their secondary schools from mid February to mid April. Please contact your secondary school for details.
Detailed information is available:
- online at https://apl.hkuspace.hku.hk/ (HKU SPACE ApL) and http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/curriculum-development/cross-kla-studies/applied-learning/index-1.html (Education bureau ApL)
- by phone, at 2975 5698
- by e-mail, at email@example.com
All students in aided, government and caput secondary schools, as well as secondary schools under the Direct Subsidy Scheme and special schools with senior secondary classes following the senior secondary curriculum recommended by the Curriculum Development Council will be fully subsidized by the Education Bureau.
Course fee is HK$18,000 (2022-24 cohort) and is paid in 2 installments (on a yearly basis).
- More Programmes of
- Medical Sciences