Healthcare, Sport and Wellness Medical Sciences
This diploma programme is a two-year part-time training programme specially designed for those wishing to take an initiative towards working in the laboratory and to acquire sound knowledge and primary skills on laboratory science
Mode of Delivery
The programme is delivered in a part-time mode with face-to-face lectures and case-study tutorials. Emphasis will be on laboratory and technical aspects with demonstrations and hands-on laboratory practicals. The medium of instruction is English supplemented with Cantonese.
Students can complete the programme in two calendar years. For each academic year, there are two semesters. Normally classes will be held on weekday evenings (Tuesday and/or Wednesday) from 6.30 pm to 9.30 pm.
Assessment of modules is normally based on a combination of coursework and examination. Coursework can include written assignments, laboratory practical reports and seminar presentations. The pass mark for all assessments is 50.
This Diploma in Laboratory Science will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE. To be eligible for the award, students have to complete and pass all modules and achieve a minimum attendance rate of 70%.
Students are required to complete 4 taught modules within the period of two calendar years. The four modules cover the topics essential to the laboratory science services:
- Module 1: Introduction of Laboratory Science and Basic Laboratory Skills. This module is designed to provide students with working principles of general laboratory equipment and the concepts of laboratory safety
- Module 2: Fundamentals of Human Anatomy & Physiology, Biochemistry & Molecular Genetics, and Applied Immunology. This module provides students with the basic principles of Biochemistry & Molecular Genetics, Human Anatomy & Physiology, and Applied Immunology
- Module 3: Integrated Laboratory Science Studies. This module provides students with basic knowledge of the major disciplines of testing laboratory science, viz. Clinical Biochemistry, Hematology & Serology, Medical Microbiology, Histopathology & Cytology, Microbiological Testing for Food & Herbal Products, and Toxicology for Food & Herbal Products
- Module 4: Laboratory Management and Quality Assurance. This module is designed to enhance student’s understanding and awareness of the occupational health and safety legislation and for them to develop management, effective communication and quality assurance skills for the testing laboratory service
Applicants shall have attained
- HKDSE Examination Level 2 or above in 5 subjects including English Language, Chinese Language and preferably Chemistry; or
- HKCEE Grade E or above in 3 subjects (preferably one in Chemistry), and Level 2 in English Language and Chinese Language; or
- HKALE Grade E in one AL subject (preferably Chemistry) or two AS subjects
Equivalent qualifications will be considered by the School.
Applicants who do not have the above academic qualifications but aged 21 or above with relevant experience may also be considered. An interview may be necessary in such cases.
(a) Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application.
(b) The recognition of the ApL subjects is as follows:
“Attained with distinction II” is deemed equivalent to Level 4;
“Attained with distinction” or “Attained with distinction I” is deemed equivalent to Level 3; and
“Attained” is deemed equivalent to Level 2.
(c) With effect from 2007, HKU SPACE recognizes Grade E previously awarded for Chinese Language and English Language (Syllabus B), Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A) at HKCEE as an acceptable alternative to Level 2 in these two subjects at HKCEE.
- Course fee (Year 1): HK$28,000 (one single installment, subject to review)
Course fee (Year 2): HK$27,000 (one single installment, subject to review)
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should submit:
Duly completed application form;
Copies of academic certificates and results slips;
A copy of HKID card or passport; and
An application fee of HK$150 (non-refundable) by crossed cheque made payable to "HKU SPACE".
College of Life Sciences and Technology, HKU SPACE
13/F, Fortress Tower
250 King's Road, North Point
Attn: Ms Kiki Man
Please make sure to pay sufficient postage for all mail items.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Medical Sciences