Technology, Aviation, Engineering & Sciences Advanced Technology & Computing
Executive Certificate in Records Management
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- 6 months
- Course Fee
Records are an essential tool and valuable resources for good business and efficient administration.
Every organization needs records. Records are created, kept and managed for many purposes: as a source of business information; as a basis for decision making; as records of policy or precedents; for accountability and auditing purposes; as evidence of legal rights and obligations, etc.
The work of records management is responsible for the systematic control of the creation, maintenance, use, and disposition of current records. Records are not just instruments used to accomplish the work of an organization, they are also vital resources, like manpower, money and property, without which no organization can function properly. Similarly, as resources, they require constant managerial attention and management with professional expertise.
This programme helps business firms and organizations to plan and set up proper policies, procedures and systems to manage their organizational records in diverse formats or media to support their corporate and business needs. Administrators and officers responsible for strategic planning, resources allocation, office management and information management work will find this course most relevant.
- Records Management Methodologies
- Active and Inactive Records Management
- Records Classification and Arrangement
- Electronic Records Management
- Planning and Implementing Records Management Program
Certificate will be awarded to students who have successfully satisfied assessments (e.g. class exercises and group project) and attendance requirements (70%).
The Chief Lecturer of this Executive Certificate course is Professor Simon F. K. CHU, administrator and educator of great renown in records and archives management. Professor CHU was educated in Hong Kong, Canada and UK where he obtained his degrees in History (BA and MA), Information Science (MLIS) and Law (LLB). Professor CHU is the former Director of the Hong Kong Government Records Services and has worked for the Services for over 20 years. He has also held executive positions in a number of local, national and international committees responsible for archival and heritage programs in UNESCO, International Council on Archives (ICA), East Asian Regional Branch of ICA (EASTICA), Chinese National Documentary Heritage Program, etc.. Professor CHU is currently Adjunct Associate Professor of the Hong Kong University and the Chinese University of Hong Kong; he is also Honorary Course Director and Adjunct Associate Professor of HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education.
Days / Time
- Wednesday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm
- 20 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre
- Simon Chu
Applicants should hold :
- a bachelor's degree; or
- an associate degree/higher diploma or equivalent, with at least 2 years of work experience
Applicants with other equivalent qualifications and relevant work experience will be considered on individual merits.
- Course Fee : HK$11,000
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
- All applicants are required to complete one Application Form (SF26) and, either submit them in person or post them to Ms Alice Wong, College of Life Sciences and Technology, HKU SPACE, at any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
- All applications, either by post or in person must be accompanied by:
- Certified photostat copies of full educational certificates and transcripts.
Note: When submitting your application in person at any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centers, please bring along the originals of your educational certificates / transcripts for certification. If you are posting your application, please arrange to bring the originals of the relevant documents for certification at any of HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres before the commencement of classes.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.