BusinessHospitality, Tourism & Events
Introduction to Wine Appreciation
- Course Code
- Application Code
1580-2304NW... more Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 10 Feb 2018 (Sat)
- 1 day
- Cantonese supplemented with English
- Course Fee
- HK$670 per programme
Wine drinking is becoming more common a hobby, a social activity, and more importantly a business culture. Basic knowledge about wine, wine appreciation and wine culture are becoming essential. This three-hour introductory course provides you with the basic yet crucial skills to wine appreciation. Technical knowledge and skills to approach, to taste and to evaluate wine will be introduced.
Why HKU SPACE?
- Our wine courses are taught by qualified wine professionals who are also experienced in wine education.
- Our wine courses will be delivered by a single teacher throughout the entire course to ensure consistency in content and teaching style.
- All wines are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized wine suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the courses.
- All wines are tasted according to WSET requirements as benchmarks samples from around the world.
- Small class-size in all wine courses brings about better teaching and learning, and enhances teacher-student interaction.
HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA)
Students are eligible to be a member of HKU SPACE Wine Alumni Association (WAA) after completion of the course. On a regular basis, the executive committee will post the latest updates and promotional materials on the availability of the seminars and events, discounts and offers on the WAA Website at http://www.hkuspacewaa.com and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hkuspacewaa; Email will also be sent for information.
Membership fee is free to current students and alumni of all HKU SPACE wine programmes. Majority of WAA events are hosted by leading figures in the wine industry. All events are exclusive to members, and sometimes with their guests.
- Wine tastings
- Wine dinners
- Master classes
- Wine seminars
- Idea sharing programmes
This wine appreciation session is designated to provide students with the most sophisticated, dedicated and up-to-date knowledge to approach, appreciate and evaluate wine. The programme will emphasise not only on techniques but also cultures and ethos related to wine appreciation. A selection of wines will be utilized for tasting and illustration purposes throughout the course.
- What is wine
- The Making of wine
- Basic Tasting Technique
In January class, you will be able to taste:
- Champagne Brut
- White Burgundy
- Margaret River Sauvignon Blanc & Semillon
- Corbieres Rose
- Red Beaujolais
- Mendoza Red
* Wines are subject to stock availability.
OUR WINE TUTORS
Mr. Chris So
Chris has great passion in wine and has been teaching about wine for the past 6 years. To endeavor professional and highest wine knowledge, he is studying the Master of Wine (MW) Programme after gaining the WSET Level 4 Diploma. Chris passed the MW practical tasting papers on his first attempt in 2012 and is now on the final stage working on his MW Research Paper. Chris is also a WSET Certified Educator, a member of Greater China Wine Critics Association, an associate member of the Institute of Wines and Spirits (AIWS) and a judge member of The Hong Kong Wine Judges Association.
Chris is a judge for the “Decanter Asia Wine Awards", "Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition” and “Everyday Bordeaux”. To strengthen his wine knowledge, Chris has travelled extensively to all major wine regions around the world including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Japan and China.
Ms. Jennifer Luk
Passionate about wines, Jennifer has been working as wine event organiser and wine consultant and experienced in wine education. Focused on innovation and experiential learning, she hosts Hong Kong’s only wine tasting in complete darkness - ‘Wine Tasting in the Dark’ - to bring completely new and unique experience to wine lovers and wine learners.
Jennifer attained sommelier introductory certification from Court of Master Sommelier and Advanced Certificate from WSET. In 2010, she was awarded the WSET/Wine Australia Travel Scholarship, as the only representative from China, Hong Kong and Macau to attend master-class in Australia. She is also a freelance wine & travel columnist for various media corporations. In recent years, she has fallen in love with running marathon in wine regions - a special way to broaden her wine traveller experience.
Ms. Vivian Lee
A Hong Kong native, Vivian grew up in New Zealand. After graduating from university, Vivian spent the next few years globetrotting. She worked in restaurants in New Zealand, an advertising agency in Singapore, and briefly in the UK before returning to Hong Kong where she has been for the past ten years. As a food and wine enthusiast, Vivian attended culinary training with Michelin Chef, Alain Ducasse and also with Chef Philippe Meyers at theNZSFW. Vivian loves to visit wine regions of the world, and is always planning for the next vineyard visits.
Vivian's passion for wine lead her to study intensively in this field. She is currently a candidate of the WSET diploma program after achieving Distinction in their Advance Certificate. Vivian is a qualified tutor for theWSET programme as well as a certified sherry tutor. Other than WSET, Vivian also conducts wine workshops and training programmes with various organizations and private clubs in Hong Kong, China and abroad.
Vivian believes that every glass is an adventure, and that the joy of wine tasting can be greatly enhanced through sharing and cultivating wine knowledge.
For tutor of the class and application deadline, please refer to "CLASS DETAILS" column below.
|Application Code||1570-1501NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||10 Feb 2018 (Sat)|
|Apply Online Now|
|Application Code||1575-3425NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||10 Mar 2018 (Sat)|
|Apply Online Now|
|Application Code||1580-2304NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||14 Apr 2018 (Sat)|
|Apply Online Now|
- 1 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
Island East Campus
IEC 901 (Wine Room)
Date and Time
10 February 2018 (Saturday)
|Jennifer Luk||27 January 2018|
10 March 2018
|Jennifer Luk||23 February 2018|
14 April 2018
|Jennifer Luk||29 March 2018|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
- Be aged 18 or above;
- Not suffer from any health problems that are unfit for tasting wine in class.
- Course Fee : HK$670 per programme
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
We provide online application and payment service for students to make enrolment via the Internet. Enrolment will be confirmed once students have made the payment online by using either PPS or credit card.
For first-come, first-served courses:
- Complete the online application form
Click the "Apply Now" button on the top right hand corner of the course webpage to make online application. Follow the instructions to fill-in the online application form.
- Make Online Payment
Pay the course fees by either using
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard via a secure online payment gateway for all first-come, first-served courses.
For award-bearing programmes:
Selected award-bearing programmes also provide online enrolment and payment service for its students.
If your programme accepts online enrolment and payment, a re-enrolment icon will be shown on the course webpage. Click the icon and follow the instructions to perform online enrolment and payment. You will receive relevant information from the programme team nearer the time of enrolment.
You may click here directly to access the online enrolment and payment service.
Please note the followings:
- Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Enrolment will be confirmed once you have made the payment online. You will receive a payment confirmation after payment has been made successfully. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of
- Hospitality, Tourism & Events