This 18-hour course is aimed at enhancing the learners’ English proficiency using songs as a medium. The course helps learners improve their listening and speaking skills, expand their vocabulary range, and gain insights into the culture associated with the target language which they aspire to master. The course presents excellent opportunities for repetition and practice – the basic building blocks in language learning but often boring in conventional classroom settings.
The music and rhythm allow learners to immerse in and practise the target language in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere.
The lyrics in the selected songs provide a valuable source of authentic English language used by native speakers. Learners pick up useful English vocabulary, phrases as well as sentence structures through active participation. Learners master proper pronunciation and intonation.
The course therefore enables learners to acquire, repeat, retain, internalise and apply the target language in a fun, enjoyable and effective manner. Through carefully selected songs, participants will:
(1) gain an understanding of the genre and the context of the selected songs and lyrics;
(2) acquire theme-based vocabulary, phrases, tenses, sentence structure, etc;
(3) practise proper pronunciation and intonation;
(4) build a repertoire of vocabulary and phrases which they can use in everyday situation and conversations; and
(5) engage in conversation using English and thus build confidence.
The course is suitable for all individuals who are interested in improving their English skills in an alternative and enjoyable way.
About the teacher
Mr John Chan
A graduate of Concordia University in Montreal majoring in Communication Arts, John spent over 20 years working in the television industry, producing educational, documentary and variety programmes. He is one of the pioneers using songs in English teaching TV shows. John now concentrates his efforts on teaching business related courses, like branding and presentation, helping students to understand business theories and models, as well as presenting themselves in English. With HKU SPACE, he aims to provide an entertaining and effective English learning environment for students’ language enhancement.
|Start Date||15 May 2022 (Sun)|
|Time||10:00 am -1:00 pm|
|Venue||Hong Kong Island learning centre|
- 6 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
No entry requirement.
- Course Fee : HK$1,500
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
We provide online application and payment service for students to make enrolment via the Internet. Enrolment will be confirmed once students have made the payment online by using either PPS or credit card.
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank Draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to “HKU SPACE” to any of our enrolment centres.
- The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
- The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service; or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.