This real-time online course aims to prepare students for their academic studies at English-speaking universities where academic writing skills are highly demanding. The course is divided into three stages in which generic academic writing skills are taught in the first stage (6 sessions), students are helped better understand college essay or project requirements in the second part (2 sessions), and personalised advice on students’ essay production is given in the third/final stage (4 sessions). Both the second and third stages are conducted in the form of a one-on-one personal / small group conference.
Stage 1: Generic academic English writing skills (6 sessions)
Students will learn the following skills:
- Basic features of academic writing
- Academic essay and report structures
- Analysing assignment topics
- Referencing skills – in APA and Harvard referencing styles
- Paraphrasing skills
- Summarising skills
- Academic grammar
- Academic vocabulary
Stage 2: Understanding Assignment Requirements (2 sessions)
Students will be given custom-made advice on the topics of their written assignments at university/ college and participate in consultation sessions on how they should plan, structure and quick start their writing.
Stage 3: Diagnostic and Clinical Advice on Assignment Completion (4 sessions)
Students will be given professional advice on the drafts of their selected assignments. The advice will focus on the academic writing skills taught in Stage 1 and other relevant language elements of the assignments.
To get the most out of the course, course participants should agree to and be ready for submission of their drafts and/or authentic writing at different stages of their assignment writing.
This course is designed for the freshmen on undergraduate and postgraduate programmes who wish to be well equipped with English academic writing skills before their academic journeys or the university students who want to refresh their English academic writing skills in the middle of their studies.
Under the online delivery method, students are not bound by their physical locations, so they can attend the lessons and personal conferences, and contact the teacher from anywhere in the world. It is particularly convenient for students travelling around the world.
About the teacher
Mr Tommy Lui graduated with King's College London's MA in Applied Language Studies in Education and The University of Hong Kong's (HKU) MFA in Creative Writing in English. He is a Registered Teacher of English receiving teacher training at HKU. Tommy has spoken at international conferences at HKU and The University of Macau. He is now studying for UCLA's TESOL certificate and has completed the course on teaching methods in Grade A.
Tommy was an LPATE* examiner and an adjudicator for Singtao Inter-school English Debating Contest for many years. He also gave English training courses to Oxbridge-educated civil servants of the HKSAR Government and the students from a dental university in Japan. As a teacher trainer, he was on a professional team - formed by tutors from world-class universities including Oxford, Cambridge, Yale, and HKU - training high school English teachers in mainland China.
He has taught English for academic purposes for different universities in Hong Kong (HKU, and City University of Hong Kong), mainland China (The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou), the UK, and Japan. He received the Outstanding Teacher Award in 2011 from HKU SPACE Community College.
*LPATE stands for the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority's Language Proficiency Assessment for Teachers at http://www.hkeaa.edu.hk/en/lpat/.
You may also be interested in the following courses:
- English for Immigration - Elementary 移民英語 - 初級
- English for Immigration - Intermediate+ 移民英語 - 中級+
- English for Teenagers: Speed Writing 青少年英語系列：速寫特訓班
|Application Code||2075-1838NW||Apply Online Now|
|Start Date||04 Mar 2023 (Sat)|
|Time||7:00 - 10:00 pm|
|Apply Online Now|
- 12 session(s)
- 3 hours per session
Applicants* should have attained:
(1) Level 3 in the HKDSE English Language Examination; or
(2) IELTS Band 6 overall; or
(3) TOEFL(iBT): 80; or
(4) CSE** Level 6; or
(5) an equivalent level in an internationally recognised English examination.
* Applicants not satisfying the above requirements must pass our admissions assessment.
** CSE is short for China’s Standards of English Language Ability.
To maximise learning outcome, applicants should, on course registration, attach their admission or offer letter issued by the college/university/institutes to their application form.
- Course Fee : HK$5,000
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
We provide online application and payment service for students to make enrolment via the Internet. Enrolment will be confirmed once students have made the payment online by using either PPS or credit card.
By Post / In Person
Applicants are required to complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26. Either take or post the completed form, along with the appropriate course fee and supporting documents, to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Relevant Programmes
- Academic Writing Skills English for Teenagers: Speed Writing