Accounting & Finance Investment Management
The Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence...
Want to acquire knowledge from basic investment theories and concepts to portfolio management?
Welcome to apply this postgraduate diploma programme which delivers knowledge in a quantitative way, including economics, statistics, financial analysis, corporate finance, investment products and portfolio management.
This Postgraduate Diploma is one of the most comprehensive courses offered by HKU SPACE in Investment Management. It is designed to follow the CFA syllabus and to focus on the current market trends and regulatory progression. This programme attracts a diverse group of students with background from finance, engineering, technology, business, management, government. Tutors are all market practitioners.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management programme covers in details a wide range of financial investment concepts. It has a rigorous syllabus. Students will learn the theories that underlie investment decisions, as well as practical real world case studies; Students will also learn how to apply the knowledge and techniques used by market professionals. Students with quantatative background will be able to learn the financial theories and concepts much easier in this programme.
Highlights of programme (30 secs):
Graduates of this programme have satisfied the Institute of Financial Technologist of Asia (IFTA) requirements for qualification and will be admitted to the CFT programme for the exemption of finance modules (1-3) of Level 1.
|1.||Analytical Tools for Investment Management|
|4.||Equity and Alternative Investments|
*Please contact programme team for detailed course structure
|Application Code||2085-FN018A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Mon - Sat, -
1. Analytical Tools for Investment Management
This module combines Quantitative Methods and Macroeconomics, two basic subject areas that students must master to pursue more in-depth study of investment topics. Quantitative Methods will cover time value of money, discounted cash flow analysis, probability and statistical concepts, regression analysis and time series. Macroeconomics will cover measurement of GDP and inflation, aggregate demand and supply, Keynesian and Monetary policy and exchange rate determination.
2. Financial Management
This module combines Corporate Finance and Financial Statement Analysis. Corporate Finance topics include capital budgeting and cost of capital, capital structure, dividend policy, warrants and convertibles, mergers and acquisition and corporate governance. Financial Statement Analysis teaches the analysis of financial statements from a user's perspective and includes detailed coverage of major items on the income statement, balance sheet and statement of cash flows. Current topics in accounting are also included.
3. Debt Investments
This module covers the analysis of various categories of fixed income instruments including bond investments with various embedded options, mortgage-backed securities, asset-backed securities and interest rate derivatives. Strategies for managing a fixed income portfolio will also be discussed.
4. Equity and Alternative Investments
This module introduces the most commonly used methods of valuing equities including the discounted dividend valuation approach, free cash flow approach, residual income valuation and the use of price multiples. Alternative investments such as real estate investments, private equity, venture capital and hedge funds will also be taught in this module.
5. Derivative Investments
This module exposes students to the full range of derivative instruments such as forwards, futures, options and swaps. These instruments are analyzed with respect to various underlying assets such as equity, foreign exchange, interest rates, stock indexes and commodities.
6. Portfolio Management
This module provides an in-depth study of the two major portfolio theories – the Capital Asset Pricing Model and Arbitrage Pricing Theory. In addition, many current topics in portfolio management will also be covered. These include but are not limited to behavioural finance, strategies for managing personal versus institutional portfolios, ways of rebalancing the investment portfolio, equity indexing, performance measurement and selection of fund managers.
Dr. Zenki Kwan, FRM, CAIA, CB, is the investment director of a listed company and a family office in Hong Kong, responsible for investment strategy and portfolio management across equities, fixed income, currency, funds and structured products. He has previously worked in J.P. Morgan, UBS, McKinsey and Samsung Securities. In addition to his doctoral degree, Dr. Kwan also holds Master of Finance and Master of Applied Business Research degrees, and completed executive education programs at Harvard Law School and Oxford University Saïd Business School, respectively.
Ms. Isa Kwok is a Chartered Management Accountant with over 20 years of post qualification experience in financial, management accounting & tax planning areas. She had substantial financial analysis & management experiences and held management positions in listed/sizeable organizations & government department. She also has 10 years teaching experiences in accounting & management courses in various local tertiary institutions.
Mr. Isaac Lo is currently an investment manager for a Chinese-based fund management firm in Hong Kong. He has more than 20 years of experience in the financial industry. He is also a CFA charterholder. Deep in his heart, he is a Big Data enthusiast. Currently, he is leading Big Data effort in his firm's Hong Kong office. He is a graduate of the Northwestern University's Master of Analytics program, one of the premier master’s program in Big Data. His past projects include improving DVD rental performance for the largest DVD rental kiosks company in the US, creating new credit card default model based on more than 2,000 factors.
Dr. Lai Man-Kit, CFA, is currently a professional trainer at Executive Training and Management Consultancy as well as a visiting scholar at HKUST. Dr. Lai has extensive knowledge in teaching adult continuing education. He was also an Assistant Professor at City University from 1994-2000.
Mr. Andy Fung is an experienced educator. For almost 20 years, he has been teaching extensively in various programs and in tertiary institutions such as School of Continuing and Professional Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong and The Hong Kong Community College. Prior to joining the teaching profession, Mr. Fung had been working in the business sector for more than 10 years. His job exposure relates to banking, manufacturing and high technology industry. His last position was Finance Manager of Motorola (HK). Mr. Fung obtained his BSBA degree at The Ohio State University and MBA degree at the University of Illinois, Urbana.
Ms. Agnes Tse, CFA, is adept at analyzing the impacts of politics on global financial markets. With Master’s degrees in Business Administration and International Relations, her specializations are in monetary policies and currency markets, as well as geopolitics and energy markets. Currently the Head of Research of Action Forex, one of the top 10 global forex websites, Agnes previously worked as analyst for China Everbright Asset Management focusing on Greater China equity markets. She was later an advisor on the investment strategies of a mutual fund in Daiwa Asset Management. Agnes has been a guest speaker in universities in Hong Kong and Europe on topics of Hong Kong's political environment and the financial markets, and China's soft power.
2023 January Intake Class Schedule
Analytical Tools for
|Tue||17 Jan 2023|
|Equity and Alternative Investments||Wed, Sat||8 Mar 2023|
Detailed Timetable: 2023 Jan Class Schedule
2023 May Intake Class Schedule
|Derivative Investments||Tue, Sat||6 May 2023|
|Financial Management||Wed, Thur||18 May 2023|
|Portfolio Management||Mon||29 May 2023|
Detailed Timetable: 2023 May Class Schedule
2022 September Intake Class Schedule
|Financial Management||Wed||21 Sep 2022|
Detailed Timetable: 2022 Sep Class Schedule
Applicants shall hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized institution.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
- an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee: $8000 per module (* course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Analytical Tools for Investment Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z120082||FEES $8,000||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Financial Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z120090||FEES $8,000||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Debt Investments (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z120104||FEES $8,000||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Equity and Alternative Investments (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z120112||FEES $8,000||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Derivative Investments (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z120120||FEES $8,000||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Portfolio Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z120139||FEES $8,000||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
Continuing Education Fund
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants should fill in the application form and submit it in person to one of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Applicants should include a non-refundable application fee of HK$150 to cover the cost of processing (Cheques should be crossed and made payable to HKU SPACE”). Please also bring photostat copies of your ID card and relevant transcripts and certificates. Original certificates and transcripts must also be brought to one of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres for certification.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Investment Management
- Relevant Programmes
- Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence Postgraduate Diploma in Finance and Data Analytics Executive Diploma in Financial Analytics Certificate for Module (Family Office Management Strategy) 家族辦公室證書 Certificate for Module (Merger and Acquisition Series: Business Valuation and Financing) Certificate for Module (Merger and Acquisition Series: Due Diligence, Tax and Accounting Issues) Certificate for Module (Merger and Acquisition Series: Strategies Issues)