Accounting & FinanceInvestment Management
Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence
CEF Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 17 Sep 2019 (Tue)
- Next intake(s)
- Jan 2020
- 1 year to 2 years
- Course Fee
- Course Fee: $6900 per module (* course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Big Data is important in investment management and AI is widely using in formulating investment decision. This programme offers the academic and practical knowledge in investment management as well as contemporary development in Big Data, AI and FinTech.
The programme aims to:
- impart financial and investment management knowledge and skills to students to enhance their financial decision making;
- facilitate students to understand and analyze contemporary issues as well as the latest development in the financial world;
- prepare students to sit for the CFA examinations based on the Candidate Body of Knowledge;
- equip students with the latest technologies on Big Data and Artificial Intelligence for financial industry;
- stimulate students to apply financial intelligence to perform investment management.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence programme covers a wide range of knowledge in Economic and Statistical Analysis, Corporate Financial Management, Risk and Portfolio Management as well as Fintech, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and Investing. As it has a rigorous syllabus and teaching members are all market practitioners, students will learn the concepts and theories to make investment decisions as well as the contemporary and practical cases of Financial Intelligence in the real world. Students will also learn how to apply the knowledge and techniques used by market professionals and refresh their investment knowledge using big data.
News about Investment Management and Financial Intelligence:
AI搶人大戰 By ETTODAY
摩通CEO︰全速雲計算變革 By oncc.com
金融科技2.0 人才需具「ABCD」技能 《香港經濟日報》
Understanding Payment Channels by Chainside.net
What do we mean by “blockchains are trustless”? by Medium.com
CEO’s message to bankers who want to stay employed by efinancialcareers
Are fintechs making an impact on treasury functions? by Euromoney
The fintech ecosystem explained by Business Insider
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes:
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- apply the relevant theories and concepts in statistical and economic analysis to solve contemporary investment management issues;
- interpret financial statements and analyze key decisions in the area of financing and investment;
- evaluate different methodologies on Big Data Analytics and Artificial Intelligence technologies for financial industry;
- make financial decision based on knowledge of financial intelligence such as Big Data, Fintech and Artificial Intelligence;
- evaluate the risk, pricing structure and strategies involved in the management of traditional and alternative assets;
- analyze investment requirements and construct optimal portfolio and perform portfolio management.
Students who complete all six modules will be awarded the Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Students who complete three modules (module 1 or 2, module 3 or 4 and module 5 or 6) can apply to exit with the Postgraduate Certificate in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
|Application Code||1745-FN044A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
- Admiralty Learning Centre
- United Learning Centre
- HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) Campus
- Fortress Tower Learning Centre
- Island East Campus
- Mr. Laurie Ng
- Ms. Isa Kwok
- Mr. Yeung
- Mr. Lo
- Mr. Ken Liu
- Dr. Kundi
- Ms. Tse
- Mr. Cyrus Tsui
Module 1: Analytical Tools for Investment Management
apply the techniques of financial mathematics and statistics to solve investment management problems; compute key financial statistics and carry out tests to ascertain the validity of these statistics; interpret and analyze macroeconomic phenomena and describe how they impact investment decisions; apply macroeconomic principles and techniques to analyze practical problems in investment management.
Module 2: Financial Management
analyze financial statements to evaluate the well-being of the firm and to recommend the firm for potential investment; discuss the strengths and weakness of accounting numbers as found in the balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flows; apply the principles of corporate finance to the key decisions faced by a financial controller; discuss and evaluate important contemporary issues in accounting and corporate finance such as off-balance sheet financing, corporate fraud and corporate governance.
Module 3: Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and Investing
evaluate different methodologies on Big Data analytics and AI technologies affecting investment decisions; identify the limits and potentials of data mining and predictive analytics on investing; make use of off-the-shelf online Big Data software for investing reference; use big data concepts to analyse and forecast results through case studies.
Module 4: Big Data and FinTech
examine the Big Data handling process with ethical issues of Big Data collection and privacy protection within the financial services; discuss the Big Data governance as a corporate governance imperative; discuss the Big Data challenges and opportunities in banking and financial services; explain the concepts of Fintech and related regulatory framework as well as discuss digital currencies; outline the application of Fintech for product development and smart contracts.
Module 5: Equity, Debt and Alternative Investments
explain various analyses in equity investments; calculate the fair value of common stock by using the common equity valuation models; calculate the proper pricing of fixed income instruments; discuss advanced contemporary issues related to bond financing such as mortgaged backed securities, interest rate derivatives and distressed debt financing; discuss the features of alternative investments such as hedge funds, real estate, private equity and commodities; compute the appropriate pricing of alternative investments.
Module 6: Risk and Portfolio Management
elaborate on the functions of key derivative markets such as futures, options and swaps markets; compute the pricing and measure the risk of major types of derivative instruments; explain how derivative strategies can achieve risk management; apply theoretical and practical knowledge of portfolio management to construct, implement, manage and monitor various types of portfolios for different purposes; analyze a wide range of contemporary issues in the area of portfolio management; apply the full body of knowledge gained in the first five modules to analyze portfolio management cases and to solve practical portfolio management problems.
Modules to be offered in February 2019 intake: 2019 February Class Schedule
Module 2: Financial Management (30 hrs + 2 hrs exam)
Module 3: Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and Investing (30 hrs)
Modules to be offered in May 2019 intake: 2019 May Class Schedule
Module 1: Analytical Tools for Investment Management (30 hrs + 2 hrs exam)
Module 4: Big Data and FinTech (30 hrs)
Module 5: Equity, Debt and Alternative Investments (39 hrs+ 3 hrs exam)
Modules to be offered in September 2019 intake: 2019 September Class Schedule
Module 2: Financial Management (30 hrs + 2 hrs exam)
Module 6: Risk and Portfolio Management (39 hrs+ 3 hrs exam)
Remark: Tentative timetable is subject to change and module commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
About the tutors
- Mr. Laurie Ng, ACMA, CISA and FRM, held senior positions in international banks and top financial institutes, such as Chief Dealer (Treasury) of a Triple-A German bank, Head of Middle Office (Risk Management Department) of a top Japanese bank and CEO of a local securities house. He earned good recognition in risk management frameworks and investment decision making analysis. He got his Bachelor Degree in Economics from CUHK and MS in Finance from CityU HK.
- Mr. Yeung is currently working in insurance industry specialized in the life insurance area. He has been providing in-house training in financial planning and insurance. Prior, Chris worked in a listed independent financial advisory firm as a wealth management advisor and provided investment recommendation. He received a Bachelor's degree from the University of California, Riverside in Business Administration and a Master's degree in Investment Management from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology concentrates on Asset Management. He is also a CFP professional.
- Mr. Lo is currently an investment manager for a Chinese-based fund management firm in Hong Kong. He has more than 20 years of experience in the financial industry. He is also a CFA charterholder. Deep in his heart, he is a Big Data enthusiast. Currently, he is leading Big Data effort in his firm's Hong Kong office. He is a graduate of the Northwestern University's Master of Analytics program, one of the premier master’s program in Big Data. His past projects include improving DVD rental performance for the largest DVD rental kiosks company in the US, creating new credit card default model based on more than 2,000 factors.
- Mr. Ken Liu, co-founder and CTO of Datatact Ltd, a startup focus on AI, Machine Learning and Big Data analytics. He is a hands on expert in his specialized area for over 10 years. Prior to Datatact, Ken worked at Citi, HSBC, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse as Algo-Trading developer. Ken earned a Master in Computer Science from USC and a Bachelor in Computer Science from University of Warwick.
- Dr. Kundi, FCPA (Australia), ACMA, has acquires practical experience in business areas over decades. He is professional in various fields, including Accounting, Finance, Human Resources Management, Information Technology, Corporate Management and Business Consultancy. Also, he has earned a PhD in Accountancy from the City University of Hong Kong in the area of Corporate Governance and has taught accounting and finance courses in tertiary education since 2000.
Applicants shall hold a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized institution.
If the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English, applicants shall provide evidence of English proficiency, such as:
i. an overall band of 6.0 or above with no subtests lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
ii. a score of 550 or above in the paper-based TOEFL, or a score of 213 or above in the computer-based TOEFL, or a score of 80 or above in the internet-based TOEFL; or
iii. HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
iv. HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
v. equivalent qualifications.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
Remark: Applicants with relevant academic and/or professional qualifications may approach the Programme Team for application of exemption.
- Course Fee: $6900 per module (* course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
CEF SectorNo Sector
|Analytical Tools for Investment Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z10768A||FEES $6,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Financial Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z107698||FEES $6,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and Investing Financial Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z107701||FEES $6,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Big Data and FinTech (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z10771A||FEES $6,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Equity, Debt and Alternative Investments (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z107728||FEES $6,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
|Risk and Portfolio Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence)|
|COURSE CODE 33Z107736||FEES $6,900||ENQUIRY 2867-8476|
Continuing Education Fund
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Online Application Apply NowEnrolment Method
Application Form Application Form
We provide online application and payment service for students to make enrolment via the Internet. Enrolment will be confirmed once students have made the payment online by using either PPS or credit card.
For first-come, first-served courses:
- Complete the online application form
Click the "Apply Now" button in the top right-hand corner of the course webpage to make the online application. Follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
- Make Online Payment
Pay the course fees by either using
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard via a secure online payment gateway for all first-come, first-served courses.
For award-bearing programmes:
Selected award-bearing programmes also provide online enrolment and payment service for its students.
If your programme accepts online enrolment and payment, a re-enrolment icon will be shown on the course webpage. Click the icon and follow the instructions to perform online enrolment and payment. You will receive relevant information from the programme team nearer the time of enrolment.
You may click here directly to access the online enrolment and payment service.
Please note the followings:
- Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Enrolment will be confirmed once you have made the payment online. You will receive a payment confirmation after payment has been made successfully. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. CASH OR EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. CHEQUE OR BANK DRAFT
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. ONLINE PAYMENT (FOR THE COURSE/PROGRAMME HAS ONLINE ENROLMENT ONLY)
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.