Computing and Data Science Advanced Technology and Computing
This programme will provide professionals with an excellent opportunity to enhance their forensics IT knowledge for developing their career as a crime laboratory analyst, forensic engineer and crime scene examiner. Graduates from IT, business or accounting are encouraged to enrol in this programme.
This programme aims to equip participants with an in-depth knowledge in the following topics:
- Use of Digital Evidence Search Kit
- Use forensic tool to preserve digital evidence
- Discriminating between physical and digital evidence
- Applying the Computer Crime Ordinance and Personal Data Privacy Ordinance
- Analysing different types of theft cases
- Applying the Crime Scene management technique to collect and preserve evidence
On completion of the programme, students should be able to :
- Use forensic tool to preserve physical and digital evidence and analyse different types of theft cases;
- Apply the legislations in relation to cyber crime, intellectual property, electronic transactions, and personal data privacy in workplace ;
- Apply the knowledge and requirements for high-quality Computer Security and Computer Forensics in Internet and wireless environment and explain the current trend of Digital Forensics ;
- Apply the Crime Scene technique to collect and preserve evidence for the preparation of witness statement;
- Employ risks assessment methods to analyse the security requirement and make recommendations for improvement ; and
- Apply the tools and techniques for carrying out Internet Investigations .
This is a one-year programme consisting of 10 core modules. Each module includes 30 contact hours and 2~3 hours of written examination.
The programme will be delivered in part-time mode. Different teaching formats like lectures; tutorials, workshop, case discussions and assignments will be employed. The medium of delivery is English, supplemented with Cantonese only when the case material is in Chinese. All handouts and reading materials are written in English. Case material may be in Chinese.
Assessment and Award
To be eligible for the award of the postgraduate diploma, students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Achieve 75% attendance
- Continuous Assessment (weighting 50%) and
- Examination (weighting 50%)
- Total passing score is 50%
- Tuesday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm (3 hrs)
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm (3 hrs)
- Saturday, 2:00pm - 5:00pm (3 hrs)
10 Core Modules
|IT Technology in a Business Environment||
|Digital Forensics, Forensics Science and Crime Scene Management||30|
|e-Business Related Legislations and Cyber Crime||30|
|Collecting Digital Evidence and Presentation in Court||30|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies (Forensics tool to preserve digital evidence)||30|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies (Theft of company’s sensitive / proprietary information)||30|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies of Internet Environment||30|
|Information Security Management||30|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies Internet Investigation Techniques||30|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies of Mobile and Wireless Communication||30|
(a) (i) Hold a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Systems) awarded by a recognized university;
(ii) Be practitioners with 5 years or more experience in the related field and hold recognized professional qualifications in the relevant discipline. (Practitioner includes IT/Computer engineer, Accountant/Forensic accountant, Auditor, Lawyer/Judiciary, Forensic scientist/Laboratory specialist, IT security professional, Senior Executive/CIO/IT manager);
(b) Provide evidence of English proficiency (if the degree or equivalent qualification is from an institution where the language of teaching and assessment is not English), such as
- HKALE Use of English at Grade E or above; or
- HKDSE Examination English Language at Level 3 or above; or
- An overall band of 6 with subtest lower than 5.5 in the IELTS; or
- A score of 550 in the paper-based TOEFL or a score of 213 in the computer-basedTOEFL or a score of 80 in the internet-based TOEFL; or
- equivalent qualifications
- HK$55,000 (To be paid in 2 instalments)*
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics
|COURSE CODE 34G104269||FEES $55,000||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|IT Technology in a Business Environment (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104276||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Digital Forensics, Forensics Science and Crime Scene Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104284||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|e-Business related Legislations and Cyber Crime (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104322||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Collecting Digital Evidence and Presentation in Court (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104330||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies (Forensics tool to preserve digital evidence) (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104349||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies (Theft of company’s sensitive / proprietary information) (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104357||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies of Internet Environment (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104365||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Information Security Management (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104373||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies Internet Investigation Techniques (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z104381||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies of Mobile and Wireless Communication (Module from Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics)|
|COURSE CODE 34Z10439A||FEES $5,500||ENQUIRY 2975-5781|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
|Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course (selected modules only)
Some modules of this course have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
All applicants are required to complete one Application Form (SF26) and, either submit them in person or post them to Ms Alice Wong, College of Life Sciences and Technology, HKU SPACE, at any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
All applications, either by post or in person must be accompanied by:
Certified photostat copies of full educational certificates and transcripts.
Note: When submitting your application in person at any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centers, please bring along the originals of your educational certificates / transcripts for certification. If you are posting your application, please arrange to bring the originals of the relevant documents for certification at any of HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres before the commencement of classes.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Advanced Technology and Computing