Technology, Aviation, Engineering & SciencesAdvanced Technology & Computing
Postgraduate Diploma in IT Forensics
- Course Code
- Application Code
- QF Level
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 06 Nov 2018 (Tue)
- 1 year
- English, supplemented with Cantonese only when the case material is in Chinese
- Course Fee
- HK$48,500 (To be paid in 2 instalments)*
This programme will provide professionals with an excellent opportunity to enhance their forensics IT knowledge for developing their career as a crime laboratory analyst, forensic engineer and crime scene examiner. Graduates from IT, business or accounting are encouraged to enrol in this programme.
This programme aims to equip participants with an in-depth knowledge in the following topics:
- Use of Digital Evidence Search Kit
- Use forensic tool to preserve digital evidence
- Discriminating between physical and digital evidence
- Applying the Computer Crime Ordinance and Personal Data Privacy Ordinance
- Analysing different types of theft cases
- Applying the Crime Scene management technique to collect and preserve evidence
On completion of the programme, students should be able to :
- Use forensic tool to preserve physical and digital evidence and analyse different types of theft cases;
- Apply the legislations in relation to cyber crime, intellectual property, electronic transactions, and personal data privacy in workplace ;
- Apply the knowledge and requirements for high-quality Computer Security and Computer Forensics in Internet and wireless environment and explain the current trend of Digital Forensics ;
- Apply the Crime Scene technique to collect and preserve evidence for the preparation of witness statement;
- Employ risks assessment methods to analyse the security requirement and make recommendations for improvement ; and
- Apply the tools and techniques for carrying out Internet Investigations .
This is a one-year programme consisting of 8 core modules and 1 elective module. Each module includes 21 ~ 30 contact hours and 2 hours of written examination.
The programme will be delivered in part-time mode. Different teaching formats like lectures; tutorials, workshop, case discussions and assignments will be employed. The medium of delivery is English, supplemented with Cantonese only when the case material is in Chinese. All handouts and reading materials are written in English. Case material may be in Chinese.
Assessment and Award
To be eligible for the award of the postgraduate diploma, students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Achieve 75% attendance
- Continuous Assessment (weighting 50%) and
- Examination (weighting 50%)
- Total passing score is 50%
Graduates of IT-related degree programmes (Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Network and Computer Engineering) will be granted an exemption for the core module – “IT Technology in a Business Environment”.
Students who have successfully completed this programme are eligible to apply for admission to MSc Electronic Security and Digital Forensics offered by Middlesex University in collaboration with HKU SPACE.Days / Time
- Tuesday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm (3 hrs)
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 10:00pm (3 hrs)
- Saturday, 2:00pm - 7:00pm (5 hrs)
- Sunday, 1:00pm - 6:00pm (5 hrs)
- (Usually only 2 lectures in a week)
8 Core Modules
|IT Technology in a Business Environment||21|
|Digital Forensics, Forensics Science and Crime Scene Management||30|
|e-Business Related Legislations and Cyber Crime Management||30|
|Collecting Digital Evidence and Presentation in Court||30|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies (Forensics tool to preserve digital evidence)||30|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies (Theft of company’s sensitive / proprietary information)||30|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies of Internet Environment||30|
|Information Security Management||21|
|Elective modules (select 1 from the following 3)|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies of Intranet Environment||21|
|Digital Forensics Case Studies of Mobile and Wireless Communication||21|
|Current Research Issues in Digital Forensics||21|
- HK$48,500 (To be paid in 2 instalments)*
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
All applicants are required to complete one Application Form (SF26) and, either submit them in person or post them to Ms Alice Wong, College of Life Sciences and Technology, HKU SPACE, at any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
All applications, either by post or in person must be accompanied by:
Certified photostat copies of full educational certificates and transcripts.
Note: When submitting your application in person at any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centers, please bring along the originals of your educational certificates / transcripts for certification. If you are posting your application, please arrange to bring the originals of the relevant documents for certification at any of HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres before the commencement of classes.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE MasterCard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or MasterCard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please aubmit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.
- More Programmes of
- Advanced Technology & Computing