Accounting & Finance Finance and Compliance
Technical analysis is commonly used in investment and is a market price...
The recent advances in Big Data and AI have major impact on the investment...
A lot of companies produce regular reports for management every day. Some...
Regulatory Technology (RegTech) encompasses various technological solutions...
Our seasoned lecturer will discuss big data processing lifecycle, business challenges as well as big data opportunities in business and finance, various managerial issues related to big data governance as well as data security and compliance. Welcome for your online application!
The programme aims to provide students with the key concepts of big data and related operational and ethical issues. It will discuss big data opportunities and challenges, fraud detection, data protection, ethical and compliance issues from managerial perspectives globally. Besides, best practices for data security and compliance, regulatory requirements will be covered in the programme.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
-describe big data concepts and related ethical issues of data collection and handling;
-identify opportunities and threats using big data;
-explain how various technological elements enhance governance and compliance;
-analyze potential risks and challenges in handling fraud detection and prevention; and
-discuss the standards and best practices of data security and compliance.
|Application Code||2090-FN055A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 1:00pm - 7:00pm
- 30 hours per programme
- Hong Kong Island Campus
- Kowloon East Campus
Course Content :
(1) Introduction to Big Data
(2) Big Data Governance and Business Implications
(3) Data Security and Compliance
Upon successful completion of the programme, students who have pass the continuous assessment and final assessment with attendance no less than 70% will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE a Certificate for Module (Big Data Governance and Data Compliance).
(1) Prof Stephen Ng
Prof. Ng is a seasoned executive for InnoTech ICT and Digital business. He launched many first innotechs in the region, namely the first Broadband, 3G, 4G, e-commerce, m-commerce, Mobile Apps, SaaS cloud, Biometric IDaaS, AI automation, Social Analytics through Machine Learning etc., Graduates of FinTech, AI, and Education from various Universities including Oxford and Bristol. He has obtained professional qualifications including Finance, IT, Security, Psychology, Education, Legal Studies and Management.
Professor Ng has taught the existing programme at HKU SPACE with topics related to Big Data, Governance & Compliance over three years as well as delivered the various seminars related to Big Data, AI and FinTech.
He has served as Company Doctor and Mentor for Corporates and Startups over years, successfully helping Intellectuals Transfer and Wisdom Inspirations on different dimensions across industries and governments in the region as well as sharing and inspiring Executives at various levels from his rich insights and experiences.
Professor Ng was also invited as Honouray Advisor for various international NGOs, forums, academics and professional settings. He has proactively promoted Mindfulness-Based Entreprenuarship & Intelligence Transformations in Public and Private sectors, and proposed the Happiness Value-Chain approach in Business Transformation and Benchmarking on international leadership forums.
He has received various awards from government and renowned communities from Tech Gibs to Life Hackings, included NASA, TechCrunch & HKSAR government etc. Currently, he is conducting R&D projects in Blockchain 4.0, RegTech 2.0 designs and various startup projects. He continues serving the MindTech disruptions towards better Humanity and Technological Advancements.
(2) Mr Thomas Lee
Mr Lee is a computer and project management professional who has worked in the information technology and data science industry for over 30 years under vendor environments including HP Inc., Dell, Fossil, Motorola network and GP Batteries. In the past ten years, Mr Lee focused on new product introduction, design for manufacturability, quality assurance & production risk management among manufacturing plants in China & Taiwan utilizing various data sciences tools and methodologies. Mr Lee is qualified as a Microsoft Certified Trainer in delivering Microsoft training modules based on Azure technology. He has been teaching courses related to Big Data, Cloud Computing, Machine Learning, Cyber Security and Fintech since 2020. Mr Lee is a certified Project Management Professional, PMP from Project Management Institute PMI, US from 1998 and a Certified Scrum Master since 2018. Mr Lee holds a Master of Health Science degree in Biomedical Engineering from University of Toronto, St. George Campus, Canada. He currently works on projects as an enabler for Inclusion and Accessibility utilizing the artificial intelligence technology.
Mr Barry Chin
Mr Chin is a Registered Professional Engineering in Hong Kong Canada, a Chartered Electrical and Mechanical Engineer in the United Kingdom, as well as a Solicitor of Hong Kong. He obtained his Engineering degree in Canada, majoring in electrical and mechanical engineering. He has also worked in various countries including Hong Kong, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Canada and United States of American specializing in all aspect of MechaTronic fields. In particular, Mr Chin had worked for Canadian Marconi Company, a company in the business of designing military equipment and weapon. There, for the company, Mr. Chin was responsible for designing radar technology. Finally, Mr Chin worked as a consultant for Digital Equipment Corporation, amanufacturing company of mainframe commercial computers.
In early 1990’s, Mr Chin decided to pursue further studies in the legal field and he completed his LL.B.(Hons) degree in 1996. He began practicing as a Solicitor in 1998 and his efforts have earned him remarkable achievements. For example, he now serves as the Vice-President of The Forensic CPA Society of Hong Kong and The Association of Hong Kong Professionals. He has also served in various committees of the Hong Kong Government for a number of years, namely the HKIRC Consultative and Advisory Panel, the Panel of Adjudicators of the Obscene Articles Tribunal, the Office of the Government Chief Information Officer and the Health Level Seven International. Finally, he is also an Honorary Legal Advisor of the International Police Association Hong Kong (SAR) Section.
June 2023 intake
|1||3 Jun 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|2||17 Jun 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|3||24 Jun 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|4||8 Jun 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
|5||15 Jul 23 (Sat)||13:00 - 19:00|
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants should hold an Advanced Diploma, a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree awarded by a recognized institution. Applicants with other equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$8100 per programme (course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Big Data Governance and Data Compliance)
|COURSE CODE 33C131595||FEES $8,100||ENQUIRY 2867-8331|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Big Data Governance and Data Compliance)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right-hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Finance and Compliance Data Science
- Relevant Programmes
- Executive Certificate in Financial Decision Making: Big Data and Machine Learning Executive Certificate in Interpretation and Visualization of Business Big Data Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology Executive Certificate in Applied Business Analytics and Decision Optimization Executive Certificate in Applied AI and Predictive Analytics for Business Executive Diploma in Financial Analytics Executive Certificate in Banking and Financial Technology Executive Certificate in AI and Deep Learning in Quantitative Finance Executive Certificate in Big Data and Predictive Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data and Business Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data, A.I. and Investing