Accounting & Finance FinTech and Financial Intelligence
Executive Certificate in Big Data and Business Analytics
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 12 Feb 2022 (Sat)
- Next intake(s)
- May 2022
- 1 month to 2 months
- Course Fee
- HK$8300 per programme
- Excel has somewhat artificial Human Intelligence for data automation...
The recent advances in Big Data and AI have major impact on the investment...
Suppose your manager is considering how to promote certain product combinations...
Create value for your company using Big Data!
KPI setting, Balanced Scorecard, Performance Management!
No Coding experience is necessary!
Basic concepts of big data will be introduced. Our seasoned lecturer will share the applications of business analytics from the view of the practitioner. Also, the usage of computational tools to process big data will be illustrated. Welcome for your online application!
*With effect from 17 January 2022 (Monday), HKU SPACE will follow The University of Hong Kong (HKU) in introducing enhanced COVID-19 control measures in accordance with public health policies.
*From 17 January 2022 (Monday), anyone wishing to enter HKU or HKU SPACE campuses will need either to be fully vaccinated or take weekly COVID self-tests. For the details of the enhanced measures, visit this link (https://hkuspace.hku.hk/news/detail/enhanced-covid-19-control-measures-at-hku-space/).
This programme aims to provide students with knowledge in Big Data and Business Analytics for management decision-making. Students are expected to be familiar with different big data analyses, tools and methodologies. The programme provides an insight on how business world is using Big Data to improve their business models.
Who would benefit from EC in Big Data and Business Analytics:
- one who wants to understand how Business world is using Big Data
- one who wants to learn how Big Data influence management decision
- one who wants to apply Big Data to their current work/business environment
- one who wants to explore different methodologies and tools in predictive analysis
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
1. self-explore commonly available off-the-shelf Big Data tools, algorithms and methodologies;
2. utilize existing Big Data algorithms and tools made available online for predictive analysis;
3. apply Big Data analytics and incidental AI technologies for management's decision-making;
4. develop big data strategies and forecast results through predictive analytics;
5. examine Big Data handling processes with reference to ethical issues of Big Data collection and privacy protection in the business world.
|Application Code||1970-EP104A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
- 30 hours per module
- Hong Kong Island Campus
- Kowloon East Campus
1. Defining Big Data and its business and technology implications 解釋大數據及其對於商業及科技的啟示
- What is Big Data? What are 5 “V”s in Big Data?
- What Big Data Alchemy means for Business?
- Business Intelligence concepts and applications
2. Fraud Prevention and Data Governance 預防欺詐及數據管治
- Data Protection and the responsibility of information governance
- Corporate fraud detection and prevention
- Fraud Detection Techniques with Predictive Analytics
- Risk prediction and assessment
3. Data Processing and Analysis 數據處理與分析
- Data Analytics goal setting & Data Mining
- Key statistic theories & techniques, Hypothesis testing revision
- Key Performance Indicators & Key Success Factors for strategic business analytics
4. Big Data Tools and Algorithm Exploration 大數據分析工具及探索有關之演算法
- Usage of different off-the-shelf tools & algorithm
- Additional Freewares introduction for predictive analysis
5. Data Visualization & Interpretation 資訊視覺化及數據演繹
- Explore different visualization tools
- Visual analytics & business experiments in data modelling
- Turning results into executive business decision
Assessment method: class participation + assignment
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who have attained PASS grade and achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme.
1. Ms Rowena Lai
Ms. Rowena Lai has extensive experience in business and data analytics in different business sectors. She is currently working in a well-known international bank and leading various data analytics projects. She graduated from the Chinese University of Hong Kong with a Bachelor of Science degree (major in Mathematics and Minor in Economics), and obtained a Master of Science in International Shipping and Transport Logistics as well as a Master of Science degree in Global Supply Chain Management from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Ms. Lai is currently a Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) from INFORMS. With her practical experience in data analytics and professional knowledge in financial technology, she teaches "Big Data and FinTech" module under Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence, Executive Certificate in Big Data and Data Analytics as well as Executive Certificate in Text Analytics and NLP with Financial Technology.
2. Mr Eddie Chow
Mr. Eddie Chow is a data science practitioner and AI Researcher who received his master degree in E-Commerce from the City University of Hong Kong. He actively consults in the application of machine learning, deep learning and artificial intelligence in Real Estate, Agriculture, Retail, Fashion and Consumer Goods industries. He is also the founder and CTO of InnoVi, is a tech entrepreneur providing AI solutions to clients, which specializes in natural language processing (NLP) and computer vision. He also an co-founder of several tech startups. Besides, he also got banking and finance experience such as mortgage, credit card, bank transfer, e-payment, General Ledger, Accounting Transaction, account management, payment gateway.
In InnoVi, he helps businesses especially from the construction and retail industries formulate strategies and conduct latest technology on scaling their business. He is also a startup mentor coaching the startup founders from formation to scaling up throughout each step of the validation phase.
2022 February intake
|1||12 Feb 22 (Sat)||13:30 - 19:30|
|2||19 Feb 22 (Sat)||13:30 - 19:30|
|3||26 Feb 22 (Sat)||13:30 - 19:30|
|4||5 Mar 22 (Sat)||13:30 - 19:30|
|5||12 Mar 22 (Sat)||13:30 - 19:30|
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Applicants with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
* Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$8300 per programme (Course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- Relevant Programmes
- Executive Certificate in Big Data and Predictive Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data, A.I. and Investing Executive Certificate in Applied AI and Predictive Analytics for Business Executive Certificate in Financial Decision Making: Big Data and Machine Learning Executive Certificate in Interpretation and Visualization of Business Big Data Executive Diploma in Financial Analytics Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology Executive Certificate in Applied Business Analytics and Decision Optimization Certificate for Module (Business Analytics and Web Scraping) Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Financial Engineering Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence Postgraduate Diploma in Finance and Data Analytics