Accounting & FinanceFinTech and Financial Intelligence
Executive Certificate in Interpretation and Visualization of Business Big Data
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 24 Apr 2021 (Sat)
- Next intake(s)
- Jul 2021
- 1 month to 2 months
- Course Fee
- HK$8600 per programme
Is your company holding a large volume of data but your management is...
This programme provides you with the basic concepts and knowledge about Big Data and to develop your skills in interpreting Big Data with Tableau Desktop. Contrary to traditional reporting, data visualization techniques would facilitate you to apply visual methods to get business insight and do financial forecasting using statistical methods in an easy manner.
This programme aims to provide students with the basic concepts and knowledge about Big Data and to develop their skills in interpreting Big Data. It provides a practical approach for the students to apply statistical methods to analyze data and to equip them with techniques to perform data visualization for business and financial Big Data.
You will learn the following techniques with Tableau Desktop:
· Design of Management Dashboard
· Top N / Bottom N Analysis
· Visual Exception Highlighting
· Sales Forecasting and Trend Analysis
· Actual and Target Comparison with Bullet Charts
· Market Basket Analysis
· New Customer Analysis
· Scatter Plot of Sales and Profit
· Pareto Distribution of Sales
· Moving Average Analysis and Bollinger Band applicable to stock price and sales volatility
· Financial Analysis with YTD, QTD, MTD, Rolling Sum, Compound Growth Percentage
· Rank Analysis with Bump Chart
· Tree Map, Motion Chart, Bubble Chart, Box-and-Whisker Chart and their Business Applications
· Storytelling with Views for Presentation
· Sharing Views with Tableau Public
You will be able to learn each of the above techniques with a hands-on practical approach and no programming skill is assumed. Also, the programme will give you a brand new idea of interpreting business in a top-down manner and collecting correlations visually without looking into huge volume of data.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Explain Big Data concepts and explore the challenges and opportunities in business applications
- Interpret business and financial data and perform analysis using statistical methods
- Apply computer software to visualize the Big Data
- Analyze the Big Data from business and financial perspectives
1) Mr. Chung
Mr. Chung is a specialist in Machine Learning, Statistical Analysis and Data Science. He received his Bachelor and Master Degree in Mathematics from the University of Toronto. He had been a Mathematics and Statistics lecturer in HKUSPACE Community College for more than six years. Since 2013, he became interested and has been doing research in Data Science and Machine Learning. Coming from an academic background, and then working as a machine learning engineer and data scientist, Mr. Chung likes to discuss Data Science and Machine Learning from both theoretical and practical perspectives.
2) Mr. W. C. Chan
Mr. W. C. Chan, FRM, has possessed rich experience in financial risk management, information technology and data science and worked as IT Manager over a decade. Being a practitioner in information technology, he is currently a consultant and trainer at Big Data Consultancy Services Company. Also, he is strong in Cloud-based solutions, Big Data Technology, Data Mining and Machine Learning. Moreover, Mr. Chan has obtained a Bachelor Degree in Mathematics from The Chinese University of Hong Kong as well as three Master Degrees in Risk Management Science from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Quantitative Analysis for Business from City University of Hong Kong and Industrial Logistics Systems from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
|Application Code||1880-EP129A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 1:00pm - 6:00pm
- 30 hours per module
- 5 hours per session
- Hong Kong Island Campus
- Kowloon East Campus
(1) Introduction to Big Data and Data Wrangling
(a) Concepts and framework under Big Data
(b) Introduction to Microsoft Power BI
-Collaboration and Sharing
-Question and Answer with AI
(c) An overview of using Big Data to support business and financial analysis
(2) Interpretation of Statistical results
(a) Concepts and techniques of Statistical analysis for business applications
(b) Interpretation and Analysis of Big Data for business and financial analysis
(3) Data Visualization and Interpretation
(a) Practice with Tableau
-Introduction to Tableau (Versions, Components, Licenses and Pricing)
-Design of Management Dashboard
-Top N / Bottom N Analysis
-Visual Exception Highlighting
-Sales Forecasting and Trend Analysis
-Actual and Target Comparison with Bullet Charts
-Market Basket Analysis
-New Customer Analysis
-Scatter Plot of Sales and Profit
-Pareto Distribution of Sales
-Moving Average with YTD, MTD, NTD, Rolling Sum, Compound Growth Percentage
-Rank Analysis with Bump Chart
-Tree Map, Motion Chart, Bubble Chart, Box-and-Whisker Chart and their Business
-Storytelling with Views for Presentation
-Sharing Views with Tableau Public
Assessment method: in-class exercises + group presentation
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who pass in continuous assessment and final assessment as well as achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme
|1||24 Apr 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 18:00|
|2||8 May 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 18:00|
|3||15 May 21 (Sat))||13:00 - 18:00|
|4||22 May 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 18:00|
|5||29 May 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 18:00|
|6||5 Jun 21 (Sat)||13:00 - 18:00|
Remarks : Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers
Applicants shall hold:
-A bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
-An Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Applicants with statistical background are preferred. Those with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of qualification while applying online.
HK$150 (student only needs to pay one time application fee for all EC in Big Data Series)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$8600 per programme (course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”.
*HKU SPACE MasterCard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
A. In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS or WeChat Pay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS or WeChat Pay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services for details.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, WeChat Pay, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- FinTech and Financial Intelligence
- Relevant Programmes
- Executive Certificate in Big Data and Business Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data and Predictive Analytics Executive Certificate in Big Data, A.I. and Investing Executive Certificate in Applied AI and Predictive Analytics for Business Executive Certificate in Financial Decision Making: Big Data and Machine Learning Executive Diploma in Financial Analytics Executive Certificate in Applied Business Analytics and Decision Optimization Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology Executive Certificate in Applied Financial Risk Management Executive Certificate in Applied Business Analytics and Decision Optimization Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Financial Engineering Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management Postgraduate Diploma in Investment Management and Financial Intelligence