Engineering and Science Engineering
This programme aims to produce architecturally informed Building Services Engineers and Energy professionals who are able to deliver energy conscious and environmentally sustainable solutions for buildings. There are 3 teaching blocks (3 semesters) which consist of 10 modules in total. After completing this programme, students will be able to enhance their knowledge with professions in delivering environmentally sustainable solutions and reduce the environmental impact for existing and new buildings.
Exemption will be granted to AD/HD in Engineering graduates. For details, please visit the below section of Exemption Policy.
The programme will be offered on a part-time basis with 3 teaching blocks (3 semesters). Each teaching block consists of 24 teaching weeks. Teaching Block 1 equip students with fundamental technical knowledge in Building Services Engineering. Teaching Blocks 2 and 3 focus on in-depth knowledge including construction management and green building design.
For Teaching Block 1, there will be 30 - 48 contact hours per module. For Teaching Block 2, there will be 36 - 48 contact hours per module. For Teaching Block 3, there will be 36 - 52 contact hours per module. Students need to complete the Dissertation module during Teaching Blocks 2 and 3 with 12 contact hours in total. The Dissertation module is designed to facilitate the development of research and reporting skills as well as furthering the technical competence and understanding.
The programme will be delivered mainly via face-to-face lectures. In addition, there will be a wide range of non-lecture activities for each module including tutorial, seminar, workshop and practical session.
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
The following table shows the modules to be contained in the programme:
|1||Building Environmental Design||1||20|
|2||Electrical Distribution Systems||1||20|
|3||Mechanical Services Design||1||20|
|5||Energy Economics and Management||2||20|
|6||Construction Management A||2||20|
|7||Dissertation||2 & 3||20|
|10||Green Building Design||3||20|
Students will be awarded BEng (Hons) Energy and Building Services Engineering by Ulster University upon successful completion of the programme.
- Modules offered throughout the teaching blocks are subject to change without prior notice.
- Students must sucessfully complete Teaching Block 1 before progressing to Teaching Blocks 2 and 3.
The entire programme in UK consists of 360 credits.
I) Students with the following qualifications will be exempted 180 credits out of 360 credits of the full programme:
- have completed the Building Services Engineering stream in the Higher Diploma in Engineering awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- have completed the Building Services Technology stream in the Advanced Diploma in Engineering awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in Building Services Engineering or equivalent from other recognised institutions.
The above students are required to successfully complete Modules 1 - 10 (a total of 180 credits; Teaching Blocks 1 - 3) in order to obtain the award of BEng (Hons) Energy and Building Services Engineering.
II) Students with a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in Engineering, Science or equivalent are required to successfully complete the Diploma in Building Services Engineering programme offered by HKU SPACE before attempting the programme.
Classes will generally be held on either weekday evenings (7:00 - 10:00pm); or Saturday afternoons (2:30 - 5:30pm), or Saturday evenings (6:30 - 9:30pm); or Sunday mornings (10:00am - 1:00pm), or Sunday afternoons (2:30 - 5:30pm).
The programme will be delivered via face-to-face lectures.
Remark: Given the COVID-19 situation might still be fluid, please note that the School may substitute face-to-face classes with online teaching if necessary.
Applicants should have completed
- The Building Services Engineering stream in the Higher Diploma in Engineering awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- The Building Services Technology stream in the Advanced Diploma in Engineering awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE; or
- A Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in Building Services Engineering or equivalent from other recognised institutions.
Applicants will need to provide evidence to demonstrate their English proficiency, for example, an IELTS score of 6.0 or above or equivalent if the medium of instruction is not English in the institutions that they study.
HK$150 (Non-refundable)Course Fee
- HK$105,000* in 3 installments:
Teaching Block 1: HK$27,000
Teaching Block 2: HK$39,000
Teaching Block 3: HK$39,000
* Subject to annual changes
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Applicants are required to submit below items:
(1) Application fee HK$150 1
(2) Application form SF26 (not applicable in the online application)
(3) Copy of Hong Kong Identity Card 2
(4) Copy of relevant supporting documents 2 (e.g. transcript of your Higher Diploma / Advanced Diploma)
1 Non-refundable and non-transferrable. Fee can be paid by cash, EPS, Visa/Master card or cheque (payable to "HKU SPACE")
2 Original copy of the documents is required for true copy certification.
By Post (Attn to Miss Greta Lee, 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point, HK)
In-Person (any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres)
Online (Scanned copy of the required documents must attach in your application)
Remarks: HKU SPACE reserves the right to cancel a course in case of insufficient enrollment or unforeseen difficulties arising from running the course.Payment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
Ulster University has a national and international reputation for excellence, innovation and regional engagement and continues to make a major contribution to the economic, social and cultural development of Northern Ireland.
- Located in 4 campuses in Northern Ireland with 27,000 students.
- Listed in the prestigious Times Higher Education ranking of the top 150 universities under 50 years old.
- Over 90% of Ulster University graduates have gone into work or further study within six months of graduating.
About the Belfast School of Architecture and the Built Environment - Faculty of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment
The Belfast School of Architecture and the Built Environment at Ulster University is a multi-disciplinary organisation, ranging from civil and energy engineering through to real estate and environmental health to architecture.
- More Programmes of
- Engineering Green Technology and Sustainability
- Relevant Programmes
- Advanced Diploma in Engineering Diploma in Building Services Engineering