British English Elocution for Teachers
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- Jul 2022
- 4 weeks
- Course Fee
The course is specially designed for teachers who need to pass on their English language knowledge and skills to our children, pillars of tomorrow.
A small portion of the course will be theory and the rest will be practical, starting with an initial assessment of students’ accents, and then practising the concepts and ideas presented and evaluating sample recordings and students’ own accents. Detailed drilling (vowel and consonant sounds, tongue twisters and long words) will be a necessary part of the course.
Much of the time will be spent evaluating participants’ own accents and providing remedial coaching, and the class size is smaller to allow for more individual attention per student.
The first 12 hours of the course covers:
- The components of accent: rhythm, pitch (intonation and tone), stress, dialect.
- Pronunciation: the 44 phonemes of British English, flow, common issues for Chinese learners of English, finding correct pronunciations.
- British vs American English.
- Image and professionalism.
The rest of the course covers:
- Detailed examination of vowel and consonant sounds and letter combinations.
- An introduction to emphasis and modulation.
- An awareness of regional accents.
|Start Date||23 Jul 2021 (Fri)|
|Time||2:30pm - 5:30pm (Wed & Fri)|
|Venue||Room 308, Admiralty Learning Centre|
- 8 meeting(s)
- 3 hours per meeting
- Course Fee : HK$3,600
a) complete the enrolment form and enroll in the course(s)
(ii) by mail with cheque/bank draft to ‘HKU SPACE Summer School Office, 11/F, 250 King’s Road, Hong Kong’
Cheque/Bank draft should be made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ with applicant’s name and course(s) applied written on the back. A photo of the applicant (in plain colour background, 45mm(W) x 55mm(H)) is also required.
b) apply through the School’s online enrolment system and pay by credit card or PPS.
If you are applying for more than one course, please check to ensure that there is no clash of class schedules before submitting your application.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted to a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- Receipts will only be issued once. For additional copies of proof of payments, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.
For details of admission, information for students, enrolment centres and other information related to HKU SPACE Summer School, please visit our Summer School webpage.
- More Programmes of