Engineering and Science Library and Information Studies
This programme aims to introduce to students the nature, functions and techniques used in records management, the principles of transferring records to archives and the current practices of digitization of different media in various industrial and commercial sectors as well as in government departments.
1. Introduction to records management and archives
2. Indexing rules
3. Records needs analysis
4. Print documents storing and archiving
5. Records appraisal, retention and disposal
6. Microimage records
7. Digitization process
8. Automated Records Systems
9. Controlling processes in records management
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
1. discuss the issues, methods, and problems associated with managing office documents and other business and organizational records;
2. explain the principles and procedures for the systematic management of active, inactive, and permanent records;
3. describe records retention concepts and legal requirements;
4. explain the role of micrographics, electronic and optical disc technology in records management;
5. identity what information storage equipment and supplies are available to the records manager; and
6. apply different methods for identifying, protecting, archiving and digitizing vital records in electronic records and archives system.
Students who have successfully satisfied a written test, an assignment (e.g. case study), a final examination and attendance requirements (70%) will be awarded a Certificate for Module (Records Management, Archives and Digitization) within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Applicants should hold:
- The Higher Diploma in Library and Information Management or equivalent; or
- Relevant professional qualification(s).
Applicants with other equivalent qualifications and relevant work experience will be considered on individual merit.
- Course Fee : HK$7,500 (Subject to Review)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Records Management, Archives and Digitization)
|COURSE CODE 44C114601||FEES $7,500||ENQUIRY 2587-3223|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Records Management, Archives and Digitization)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
- Please complete the Application for Enrollment Form (SF26), together with copies of relevant certificates and the cheque payable to HKU SPACE, and
- Send to HKU SPACE Enrollment Centers in person, or post or fax to Ms Jessie CAI, HKU SPACE, 19/F Island East Campus, 494 King's Road, North Point, Hong Kong
- Please quote the course code listed on the page of General Information for your application.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.