Business & Management Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship
Preparatory Courses for University of London (Queen Mary) Global MBA
- Awarded by
University of London, United Kingdom
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 02 Oct 2021 (Sat)
- Next intake(s)
- April 2022
- 2 years
- Course Fee
- HK$8,800 per module
HKU SPACE and The University of London are offering Scholarship to all new GMBA students registered for the October 2021 intake at HKU SPACE. Students will only need to pay around HKD178,000 for the full GMBA programme.
Apply NOW to study a world-class GMBA!
This MBA (Master of Business Administration) preparatory course aims to provide tuition support to students for studying the Global MBA, University of London (UoL).
University of London
Academic Direction: Queen Mary
This MBA programme provides students with an opportunity to develop and apply master's level knowledge, understanding and skills within management, leadership, innovation & entrepreneurship content.
- Flexible Online Study plus Face-to-Face Lectures taught by local experts.
- Queen Mary ranked 13th in the Times Higher Education, Best UK Universities in 2020; QS World University Ranking 2021 ranked 114th in the world (126th in 2020); ranked 11th overall in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF) rankings in 2014.
- Good value for resources: 1-2 years duration of study; tuition fees is around HK$170,500 in total.
- Exemptions for CIMA and ACCA members of up to 5 modules (total 11 course modules).
- Accreditation from Chartered Management Institute (CMI). Students can ever gain Chartered Manager status through the MBA.
- Global University of London community of more than 100,000 alumni from 180 countries.
Preparatory Course for Global MBA
Each preparatory course is of 16 hours with an aim to provide tuition support to students for studying the Global MBA. Comprehensive online learning material is to be provided by UoL and this preparatory course will provide the essential face-to-face tuition teaching support.
Lecturers’ Profiles (Part of HKU SPACE Faculty)
Lecturer: Dr Paulina Chan
PhD (Imperial College London)
Chair, CMI Board of Directors, HK
Lecturer: Mr James Cheng
JD, BSc, CPA
Lecturer: Dr Adonis Cheung
PhD, MHRM, MBA
Adjunct Lecturer, HKU SPACE
Lecturer: Dr Humphry Hung
PhD (CityU), MBA, MPA (HKU)
Former Lecturer, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Lecturer: Mr Brian Tsui
MBA (University of Chicago)
Startup Investor and Management Consultant
Lecturer: Dr Irene Lau
PhD (Jinan University)
Lecturer: Mr Sam Law
Adjunct Associate Professor, HKU SPACE
Lecturer: Dr Fred Luk
Assistant Professor, Hang Seng University
This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
The Global MBA equips you with a well-informed understanding of the pressures and challenges facing today’s global business leaders, whilst enabling you to implement cutting-edge approaches to management that will ensure success in your future roles.
To complete the MBA, you will need:
- Six core MBA modules
- Four elective modules
- A Strategic Project
6 Core Modules
1. Accounting and Finance
2. Economics for Managers
3. Marketing for Managers
4. Organisational Behaviour and Human Resource Management
5. Strategic Management
6. Successful Leadership
4 Elective Modules + 1 Strategic Project
A) Specialist Pathway: Entrepreneurship & Innovation
1. Venture Capital and Entrepreneurship
2. Entrepreneurial Finance and Private Equity
3. Entrepreneurial Marketing
4. Innovation and Change
Strategic Project: “Entrepreneurship and Innovation” Specialism
B) Specialist Pathway: Leadership
1. Leadership and Management Models
2. Leadership, Transformation, and Organizational Change
3. Negotiation and Conflict Management
4. Leadership and Ethical Decision-Making
Strategic Project: “Leadership” Specialism
To gain a specialist MBA, you will need to complete the six core modules, plus four elective modules, at least three of which must be from your chosen specialist area, plus the Strategic Project (also in your chosen specialist area).
HKU SPACE Preparatory Courses Requirement:
No specific requirement. Students are welcome to enroll.
University of London Global MBA Requirement:
For direct access (Entry Route 1), students will need the following:
- A second-class honours bachelor degree or equivalent from an acceptable institution.
- Three years’ work experience in a managerial role (within the past five years).
UOL accept qualifications from around the world. If students have an appropriate professional award rather than a degree, UOL will consider this on an individual basis.
If students meet only one of these requirements, students can apply to join the programme via Entry Route 2.
For students’ application to be considered, students must have one of the following:
- A second-class honours bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent from an acceptable institution; or
- Three years’ work experience in a managerial role (within the past five years).
Students’ application will be reviewed on an individual basis.
Under this route, students are strongly advised to complete MBA Preparation Course (about 125 hours of study), and then take only one module (preferably core) in your first study session and one module in your second session. This will help students develop the necessary skills to complete the programme successfully.
References and Evidence
Students will need to submit at least one reference and some documentary evidence as part of your application. This will differ depending on students’ Entry Route and which criteria students meet. Students’ documents can be uploaded with online application or students can email them at a later date.
English Language requirements
Students need a high standard of English to study this programme. Students will meet UOL language requirements if students have achieved one of the following within the past three years:
- IELTS: at least 6.5 overall, with 6.0 in the written test.
- TOEFL iBT: at least 92 overall, with 22+ in reading and writing and 20+ in speaking and listening.
- Pearson Test (Academic): at least 59 overall, with 59+ in reading and writing and 54+ in speaking and listening.
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (grade C or above).
Alternatively, students may satisfy the language requirements if students have at least 18 months of education or work experience conducted in English.
- Course Fee : HK$8,800 per module (HK$17,600 for a Strategic Project. Fees are reviewed annually and subject to change without prior notice. )
- (Additional Costs - You will also need to budget for:)
- (1. Application and Course Fee for University of London: Details please visit https://london.ac.uk/courses/global-mba#fees)
- (2. Exams: Exam centres charge a fee for hosting your exams)
The University of London Global MBA is recognised by Chartered Management Institute (CMI), ensuring that your qualification adds significant value to your career prospects.
Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
CMI (Chartered Management Institute) promotes the highest standards in management and leadership excellence. It is the only organisation that awards Chartered Manager status, the hallmark of any professional manager.
The core modules and project of the Global MBA meet the requirements of the CMI’s Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership. Upon successful completion of the MBA, you will also receive this Diploma.
Chartered Manager (CMgr)
If you have at least three years of relevant work experience, you can even gain Chartered Manager status through the MBA.
To apply for this Preparatory Course, applicants must first register with University of London as students of Global MBA programme and enrol in the relevant module(s).
The University of London
The University of London (UoL), one of the oldest and largest universities in U.K., was established in 1836 by Royal Charter. The University is a federation of 18 self-governing Colleges together with a range of central academic activities. University of London's online, blended and flexible learning allows students to undertake their studies outside London. The University stresses that the standard of the degree to ALL of its students, wherever they are studying, is the same. Over 60 yeras ago, HKU SPACE has been working with University of London and HKU SPACE is an Affiliate Centre of the University of London in Hong Kong. This is to recognise that HKU SPACE has demonstrated a sustained commitment to developing high standard in respect of teaching, support and administration.
Academic Direction : Queen Mary, University of London
One of the UK’s leading universities, Queen Mary University of London (QMUL), provides academic direction and study support for the Global MBA. Queen Mary is responsible for the assessment of your degree. Queen Mary is one of the largest constituent colleges of the University of London, with 20,260 students from more than 150 countries. A member of the prestigious Russell Group, QMUL works across the humanities and social sciences, medicine and dentistry, and science and engineering, with inspirational teaching directly informed by its research.
- Relevant Programmes
- Postgraduate Diploma in Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management Executive Certificate in Intellectual Property Asset Management Executive Certificate in Start-Up Formula Executive Certificate in Commercialization of Innovative Products Executive Certificate in B2B Market and Innovation Strategy Executive Certificate in Collaborative Innovation Management