Hospitality, Tourism & Events Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
This programme is designed to provide a sound introduction to craft beer. Students will be introduced to the basic ingredients of craft beer, key stages in craft beer brewing, different styles and flavours of craft beers produced by different countries. Through a combination of classroom learning and visits to two craft beer breweries and one craft beer bar, students will deepen their knowledge in the craft beer brewing processes in a real-life professional industry environment, and appreciate the emerging trends of the craft beer business in Hong Kong.
This programme is suitable for those beer enthusiasts for social and leisure purposes; as well as others who wish to work in the craft beer business, in different aspects ranging from production, marketing, retail, wholesale to hospitality.
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- Describe the basic ingredients of craft beer;
- Illustrate the key stages in craft beer brewing process;
- Explain the style, flavour and quality of craft beer produced by different breweries;
- Outline the key principles and equipment involved in the storage and serving of craft beer; and
- Identify the emerging trends of craft beer and its related business opportunities.
WHY HKU SPACE?
- Students can taste at least 40 different styles of beers and craft beers from Hong Kong and other countries.
- Unique site visits to two local craft beer breweries, allowing students to understand the craft beer brewing procedures and taste fresh craft beers.
- In the visit to a craft beer bar, students will be able to compare different styles of craft beers and pair them with snacks in the bar.
- Our beer course is taught by a craft beer brewery owner and a craft beer judge.
- All beers are carefully and impartially selected from different recognized beer suppliers to suit the genuine needs of the courses.
This programme consists of 32 face-to-face teaching hours, including 21 Lecture hours and 11 hours for visits to craft beer breweries and craft beer bar (with food and craft beer pairing).
Brief introduction of Beer and Craft Beer
Basic Ingredients of Craft Beer
|3||Craft Beer Brewing Process (Hot Side)|
|4||Craft Beer Brewing Process (Cold Side)|
|5||Craft Beer Appreciation – Tasting Techniques|
Craft Beer Brewery – Startup and Operation
Craft Beer Business and Bar Operation
ASSESSMENT AND AWARDS
|Type of Assessment||Description|
Part A - Theory (70%):
Multiple Choice Questions and Short Answer Questions
Part B - Blind Tasting (30%):
Blind Tasting of 2 Craft Beers - Description and assessment of 2 Craft Beers and answer Short Questions
Note: Students may apply to resit the Exam if they are unsuccessful, subject to a fee.
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be awarded the Certificate for Module (Craft Beer Brewing and Appreciation) within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
|Start Date||01 Mar 2023 (Wed)|
|Application Code||Date and Time||Tutor||Test||Application Deadline|
- The programme team reserves the right to change the above timetable if necessary.
- All classes are subject to sufficient enrolment.
Applicants shall be aged at least 18 years or above, and do not have any health problems that make them unfit for beer tasting.
- HK$8,800 per programme inclusive of:
1. learning materials in English
2. at least 40 different types of beers and craft beers for tasting
3. visit to two craft beer breweries
4. visit to a craft beer bar (with food and craft beer pairing)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- More Programmes of
- Wine, Spirits, Sake & Coffee
- Relevant Programmes
- Certificate for Module (World Whisky Appreciation) Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Wines) Certificate for Module (Advanced Study in Wines) Certificate for Module (Italian Wine and Food Appreciation) 證書(單元 : 日本清酒大師) Certificate for Module (Intermediate Study in Spirits) 日本梅酒實驗所 Certificate for Module (Specialty Coffee: Introduction to Coffee and Brewing Skills) Certificate for Module (Specialty Coffee: Barista Skills - Foundation and Intermediate) Foundation Study in Japanese Sake