Accounting & Finance Finance and Compliance
The programme aims to provide students with elementary knowledge of time series analysis for financial data. It introduces basic time series models, models and tests for long-run relationships, volatility models and simultaneous equation models. Computational tools will be used to analyze time series and build financial models. This programme is suitable for students to prepare for postgraduate studies in finance and investment disciplines.
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- describe the characteristics of financial time series data and linear and non-linear time series models;
- explain long-run relationships models, volatility models and simultaneous equation models;
- apply computational tools to investigate and analyze financial time series data; and
- discuss the applications of time series for financial modeling.
|Application Code||2075-FN062A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 10:00am - 5:00pm
- 30 hours
6 hours per meeting
- Hong Kong Island Learning Centre
- Kowloon East Learning Centre
The programme consists of 30 contact hours with lectures and practical classes in computer laboratory.
(1) Fundamentals of Time-Series Models
- Introduction to time series and financial econometrics using computational tools
- The nature of financial time series data and times series decomposition
- Brief review on regression analysis
- Overview of linear time-series models
- Stationary Time Series Models: moving average (MA) processes and MA models, autoregressive (AR) processes and AR models
- Nonstationary Time Series Models: Autoregressive integrated moving average (ARIMA) models
- Seasonal models
- Overview of non-linear time series models
- Exponential Smoothing: Simple Exponential Smoothing, Holt-Winters’ Seasonal Smoothing
- Threshold Autoregressive (TAR) Models
- Self-Exciting Threshold Autoregression (SETAR) Models
(2) Basic Long-Run Relationships Models
- Stationarity and unit root testing: Dicky-Fuller test, Augmented Dickey-Fuller test, Philips-Perron test, KPSS test
- Spurious regressions and cointegration
- Engle-Granger test
- Error-correction models
- General to Specific Modelling
(3) Principles of Volatility Modeling
- ARCH models
- GARCH models
- Extensions to GARCH models
- Usage of GARCH type models
- Forecasting variances using GARCH type models
- Usage of variance forecasts
(4) Introduction to Simultaneous Equation Models (SEM)
- Overview of Structural Model and Reduced-Form Model
- The Identification of Simultaneous Equation Models
- Parameter Estimation
(5) Basic Time Series Applications
- Intervention Analysis and Outlier Detection
- Longitudinal Analysis
- Time Series Regression and Vector Time Series Models: VAR/ARCH Models
- Spectral Analysis
- Financial time series analysis and model building with computational tools
Assessment: class exercise (60%) & group presentation (40%)
Upon successful completion of the programme, students who have passed the continuous assessment and final assessment with attendance no less than 70% will be awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE the Certificate for Module (Introduction to Financial Time Series Analysis).
- Tentative timetable is subject to change and the course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment
- In case of cancel class, course fee will be refunded or transferred to next available intake
March 2023 intake
|1||18 Mar 23 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00|
|2||25 Mar 23 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00|
|3||15 Apr 23 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00|
|4||22 Apr 23 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00|
|5||29 Apr 23 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-17:00|
*(Class schedule will be given out upon one week prior to course commencement through by Email)
Applicants should hold an Advanced Diploma, a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree preferably in the areas of business and statistics (e.g., mathematics, statistics, computer science, IT, engineering, economics or finance) awarded by a recognized institution. Applicants with other equivalent qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
(1) Mr. Alan Cheung
Mr. Alan Cheung, PRM, CQF, has solid skills in the applications of the finance time series analysis and financial model building. Also, he has solid experience in fintech in top tier investment banks, versed in architecting low latency, high frequency algorithmic trading systems. He is currently a Quantitative Strategist on the Equities Desk in Bank of America Merrill Lynch. Alan has a Master of Science in Mathematical and Computational Finance from the University of Oxford after graduating with First Class Honours in Mathematics with Statistics for Finance from Imperial College London. Currently, Mr. Alan Cheung is teaching modules under Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Financial Engineering and Postgraduate Diploma in Finance and Data Analytics.
(2) Dr. Zenki Kwan
Dr. Zenki Kwan, FRM, CAIA, CB, is good at quantitative finance and financial time series analysis. He is the investment director of a listed company and a family office in Hong Kong, responsible for investment strategy and portfolio management across equities, fixed income, currency, funds and structured products. He has previously worked in J.P. Morgan, UBS, McKinsey and Samsung Securities. In addition to his doctoral degree, Dr. Kwan also holds Master of Finance and Master of Applied Business Research degrees and completed executive education programs at Harvard Law School and Oxford University Saïd Business School, respectively. Dr. Kwan is currently teaching modules under Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Financial Engineering and Postgraduate Diploma in Finance and Data Analytics.
(3) Mr. Ferrix Lau
Mr. Ferrix Lau, ACS, ACIS, CFA, FRM has over 10 years’ teaching experience in business, accounting and finance modules at tertiary level. He teaches Financial Analysis, Financial Risk Management, Quantitative Analysis, Financial Accounting, Cost and Management Accounting as well as Corporate Governance. Moreover, he is a co-author of a Statistics book, Quantitative Analysis for Professional Studies and Projects. Furthermore, he has strong interests in the areas of Statistical Analysis, Quantitative Finance and Machine Intelligence. Mr. Lau has earned a Bachelor's Degree in Social Science from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, major in Economics and minor in Computer Science. Besides, he holds a Master's Degree in Business Administration with Distinction from The University of Hong Kong, concentrating on the theme of Accounting Control and Financial Management.
(4) Mr. Kenrick Yeung
Mr. Kenrick Yeung received one MSc in Data Science and Business Statistics from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, and another MSc in Applied Economics from Hong Kong Baptist University, and his bachelor degree in Economics and Finance in Hong Kong Shue Yan University. He has been teaching Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Statistics, Econometrics, Engineering Economics, Geopolitics and Corporate Finance.
(5) Mr. Felix Chan
Mr. Felix Chan, FRM, ACAMS holds a Master's Degree in Data Science from The University of Hong Kong, and his bachelor degree in Quantitative Finance and Risk Management Science in the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He has strong interests in the areas of Big Data, Machine Learning and Statistical Analysis. Besides, he has years of experience working at multiple major technology companies, through which he has help corporates in various sectors including finance, government, professional services, etc. realize value through technology and data science.
- Course Fee : HK$7600 per programme
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
|Certificate for Module (Introduction to Financial Time Series Analysis)
證書(單元 : 金融時間序列分析入門)
|COURSE CODE 33C13554A||FEES $7,600||ENQUIRY 2520-4612|
|Continuing Education Fund
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund.
Certificate for Module (Introduction to Financial Time Series Analysis)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.