Accounting & FinanceFinTech and Financial Intelligence
Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 09 Jan 2021 (Sat)
- Next intake(s)
- Apr 2021
- 1 month to 2 months
- Course Fee
- HK$8000 per programme
The recent advances in Big Data and AI have major impact on the investment...
This programme aims to provide students with updated knowledge of Blockchain and its practical applications in the finance and investment fields. It gives an overview of the Blockchain market and introduces students to the basic concept and jargons of Blockchain. The programme also provides the latest market landscape, insight and discussion on the application of Blockchain from the regulatory and legal perspectives.
Mr. Paul Li, President of HKIFA
Paul is the President of Hong Kong Internet Finance Association which was founded in 2014 aimed to provide a platform for industry players in HK to interact with their mainland counterparts and to promote the collaboration of FinTech and traditional finance industry.
An experienced banker, Paul is now working in Alibaba group as senior fintech expert managing fintech initiatives for SMEs. Before that, he had worked in various roles in banks. In 2007, seeing the opportunity for foreign banks under the WTO agreement, Paul moved from HSBC Hong Kong to Shanghai to manage the strategy department for HSBC China. He then spent the next 6 years in various cities (Shanghai, Chongqing, Guangzhou and Shenzhen) to build corporate banking franchises for HSBC and subsequently Standard Chartered.
Paul is an advisor of Our Hong Kong Foundation, a research fellow of Zhejiang University Academy of Internet Finance, part-time lecturer of HKU SPACE and industry commentator in FinTech & RegTech.
Mr. Emil Chan, Honorary Chairman of Start HK
Emil is a FinTech enthusiast with over 20 years experience in managing IT, back office operations and business transformation projects in international financial institutions. He had worked for several sizeable international banks including Credit Suisse and BayernLB as the roles of First Vice President, Head of IT in Asia Pacific, Project Director and Operations Manager Asia Pacific. He has extensive experience in both Business and IT consulting encompassing the design, setup, leading and managing of cross-border projects throughout Asia. Emil is currently the Honorary Chairman of SmartHK, an NGO to promote startups for underprivileged and the members and advisors of several FinTech startups. He is also the adjunct lecturer of FinTech courses for Hong Kong University SPACE, Hong Kong Institute of Bankers, Vocational Training Council, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hang Seng University of Hong Kong and Lingnan University . He conducts CPD accredited courses for professional bodies including HK Law Society, HK Institute of CPA, Project Management Institute, etc. Moreover, he compiles and delivers in-house training courses for well known international companies and financial institutions.
In the past 10 years, he participated actively in voluntary community services in related to popularization of technology. He is the founding Chairman of the Association of Cloud and Mobile Computing Professionals, Past Vice President and Supervisory Committee Member of Internet Profession Association (iProA), the Vice Chairman of Hong Kong New Emerging Technology Education Association. He is also the Chairman of Smart City Consortium FinTech Committee, the Vice President and Hon. Secretary of Hong Kong Blockchain Development Association, Council Member of Hong Kong Software Industry Association, Think Tank Member of Dashun Foundation and Committee Member of the Hong Kong Cross Border eCommerce Association. Emil hosts seminars, delivers public speeches and publishes articles of FinTech related topics on media. He has also be interviewed by major media from time to time.
Emil had obtained a bachelor degree on Applied Computer Science from Hong Kong Open University and graduated from the University of Iowa with a Master of Business Administration degree. To facilitate his training skill, he also had obtained the NLP (Neuro-linguistic programming) Trainer Certificate with strong rapport building and story telling or over 20 years.
Mr. Lin Cheung, CEO of Point 95 Global
Lin is the CEO of Point95 Global, which is a firm focused on digital assets investment, trading and management. Lin has more than 10 years of experience in trading technology and operations. Previously he was a vice president at JPMorgan Chase and responsible for managing an application development team covering Asian electronic trading business across multiple asset classes. He received Master's and Bachelor's degrees in Computer Science from the University of Hong Kong.
Guest Speaker :
Dr. Dorothy C.K. Chau
Dr. Chau was a Senior Lecturer and Programme Director at the HK Baptist University, within the School of Business. Dr. Chau was the Director of the new Master in Finance (FinTech and Financial Analytics), bringing together the best minds and leaders in Finance, FinTech, A.I., RegTech, Privacy and Cybersecurity. With over 8 years in this space, Dr. Chau is a seasoned FinTech professional with a strong reputation as being an industry and academic liaison. Dr. Chau’s deep industry connections has allowed her to bring the biggest and best organizations from Tencent, Alipay, IBM, UBS, BNP Paribas, Ant Financial, Deloitte, Ping An Bank, Crypto.com and others to work with her to integrate content into her programmes, where she has successfully built industry-academic collaboration. She is also the advisor and chairman of the Data Privacy Special Interest Group of the Institute of Financial Technologists of Asia (IFTA) and the founding council member and chairman of the blockchain education committee of the Hong Kong Blockchain Development Association (HKBCDA).
Dr. Chau is also the Co-Chair of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), and inducted as a Fellow of Information Privacy (FIP). In addition to her CIPP/A and CIPM certifications, her Certified Information Privacy Professional / Europe (CIPP/E) certification makes her a sought out expert on the topic of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), where she has presented to audiences both locally in Hong Kong and China, including CPA Australia, The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants, The Hong Kong Independent Non-executive Director Association, HKUSPACE, The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, The Hong Kong Institute of Directors, and more.
Mr. Edmond Lau
Mr. Lau has 20 years of profound experience in investment, financing and business development, and is currently the Managing Director of Lingfeng Capital focusing on Fintech investment. He was the Head of Innovative Incubation Centre and the Head of Merger & Integration in SF-Express responsible for establishment, due diligence and management of incumbents and investments. Prior to that, he served as the Head of Investment in FIH Mobile and the Investment Director in CLSA Capital Partners focusing on areas like mobile Internet, mobile application and water technologies. Edmond was previously a Vice President in Citigroup and a senior consultant in Accenture providing financing solutions and strategic advices to telecom, media and technology corporations.
Mr. Lau holds an MBA (distinction) from London Business School, a Bachelor of Information Engineering (first class) from Chinese University of Hong Kong, and a Bachelor of Laws from China University of Political Science and Law. He is the founding board member of CFA Shenzhen Association, Co-President of Hong Kong Internet Finance Association, and a former board member of Hong Kong Society of Financial Analysts. He is also a CFA and a FRM.
Hong Kong Internet Finance Association (HKIFA) is a non-profit organisation established in Hong Kong. HKIFA leads some of the most ambitious efforts in Hong Kong to promote and advance the education of Fintech and of the use of technology for benefit of the public. We facilitate communication between Fintech practitioners and governmental bodies and promote international exchange of idea around Fintech development.
Executive Certificate in Applications of Blockchain in Financial Technology provide students the essential concepts and contemporary issues about Blockchain. It helps executives and managers to understand the applications of Blockchain and its applications in Financial Technology. Moreover, they can apply the platform of Blockchain to add value to their workplace. Furthermore, interested learners can further their studies in FinTech and Digital Currency in degree and postgraduate levels.
Students under this programme are eligible to apply free membership for Hong Kong Internet Finance Association. The association offers talks, workshops and/or seminars related to the FinTech.
|Application Code||1865-EP133A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
Days / Time
- Saturday, 10:00am - 1:00pm - 2:00pm - 6:30pm
- 30 hours per module
- Hong Kong Island Campus
- Kowloon East Campus
Course Content :
(1) Introduction to Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- Emergence of Blockchain in the financial world
- Decentralized P2P network and distributed ledger
- Trust in Blockchain: How to reach consensus?
- Wallets and Mining
- Basics of Cryptography and Cryptocurrency
- Bitcoin in a nutshell
- Ethereum and Smart contracts
- Blockchain ecosystem and blockchain-related technologies
(2) Blockchain and related applications as well as Financial Technology
- Alternative approaches to mining and consensus
- Decentralized applications (Dapp)
- Private / Public / Alliance chain
- Practical applications of Blockchain in Financial Services Industry
- Disruption and Limitation
- Development of Financial Technology and future applications of Blockchain
(3) Regulatory and Legal issues around Blockchain
- Regulation vs Privacy
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliant Blockchain?
- Anonymity and Know Your Client (KYC) requirements
- Risk of money laundering
- Governments’ position to Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- Crowdfunding vs Initial Coin Offering (ICO)
- How to launch an ICO legally
Assessment method: two take-home exercises + individual assignment
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who pass in continuous assessment and final assessment as well as achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme
2021 January intake
|1||9 Jan 21 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-18:30|
|2||16Jan 21 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-18:30|
|3||23 Jan 21 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-18:30|
|4||30 Jan 21 (Sat)||10:00-13:00 & 14:00-18:30|
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Applicants with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (Student only needs to pay one time application fee for all EC in Big Data Series)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$8000 per programme (Course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.