BusinessFinance and Investment
Executive Certificate in Big Data and Predictive Analytics
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 18 Nov 2017 (Sat)
- Next intake(s)
- April 2018
- 2 months
- Course Fee
- HK$ 6000
一至好評導師 Alex Hung 再次講課
More methodologies for Data Mining & Modeling....
Executive Certificate in Big Data and Predictive Analytics aims to provide students with an in-depth knowledge in Big Data concepts and to develop their skill sets in setting up hypothesis models in Predictive Analytics. The objective is to provide an overview of data mining process and to pinpoint the potential and limitations of predictive analytics within a business setting.
AI崛起 數據分析師最吃香 by Skypost
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
1. apply knowledge and skills in the procedure of processing and cleaning of Big Data;
2. build simple hypothesis modelling to gain insights from voluminous data within a business setting;
3. identify the limits and potentials of data mining and predictive analytics;
4. utilize existing Big Data algorithms and tools made available online for predictive analysis;
5. self-explore commonly available off-the-shelf Big Data tools, algorithms and methodologies;
6. differentiate the role of Data Scientist from Business Analyst.
Days / Time
- Saturday, 10:00am - 6:30pm
- 30 hours per module
- 4 meeting(s)
- 7.5 hours per meeting
- Mr. Hung, Data Analytics Manager APAC at an international insurance firm, is a seasoned Data Analytics professional with more than 10 years of project experience in data analytics (Fraud Risk Analytics / Customer Analytics / Performance Management / Balance Scorecard / Business Intelligence / Data mining / Big data) solution design and development. He has in-depth knowledge and experience in the Banking and Insurance industries and proven track record of shaping and delivery complex large-scale data analytics projects. Mr. Hung received an MBA from CUHK and is a Certified Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Dr. George Ng is a data science practitioner who received his doctorate in Biotechnology from the University of Queensland Australia. He has had many years of hands-on Information Technology experience, across industries from Manufacturing, Food & Beverage, Hotels, Logistics & Transportation, Retail, Energy, Consumer Goods, Big Pharma and higher education. He was the founder and CEO of 2 previous startups. And most recently contributed research articles in the areas of Big Data and machine learning at Sparrho.com as a technical research writter.
- Data mining
- Data cleaning
- Handling missing data
- Identifying misclassifications
- Data transformation
- Flag variables
- Transforming categorical variables into numerical variables
- Removing useless variables
Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA)
- Analyzing data sets to summarize their main characteristics
- Initial data analysis (IDA) to check assumptions for model fitting and hypothesis testing, handling missing values and make transformations of variables
Univariate Statistical Analysis
- Data mining to discover knowledge in data
- Statistical approaches to estimation and prediction
- Statistical tools for testing hypotheses and deriving estimates
- Confidence interval estimation of mean
- Hypothesis testing
- Access strength of evidence against Null Hypothesis
- Regression Models
- The limits and potential of predictions
- Financial Services Case Studies
Big Data Tools and Algorithm Exploration
- Usage of different off-the-shelf tools & algorithm
- Additional Freewares introduction for predictive analysis
Role of Data Scientist
Challenges and opportunities with Big Data
- Data acquisition and recording
- Information extraction and cleaning
- Data integration, aggregation and representation
- Query processing, data modelling and analysis
- Heterogeneity and incompleteness
- System architecture
Assessment method: class participation + assignment
The Executive Certificate award will be conferred to candidates who have attained pass grades in all three modules and achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme.
November intake class schedule (10am-630 pm, 1 hour lunch break):
November 18, 25 December 2, 9 (M14267)
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of working experience
Applicants with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
HK$150 (student only needs to pay one time application fee for all EC in Big Data Series)Course Fee
- HK$ 6000
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
We provide online application and payment service for students to make enrolment via the Internet. Enrolment will be confirmed once students have made the payment online by using either PPS or credit card.
For first-come, first-served courses:
- Complete the online application form
Click the "Apply Now" button on the top right hand corner of the course webpage to make online application. Follow the instructions to fill-in the online application form.
- Make Online Payment
Pay the course fees by either using
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or MasterCard via a secure online payment gateway for all first-come, first-served courses.
For award-bearing programmes:
Selected award-bearing programmes also provide online enrolment and payment service for its students.
If your programme accepts online enrolment and payment, a re-enrolment icon will be shown on the course webpage. Click the icon and follow the instructions to perform online enrolment and payment. You will receive relevant information from the programme team nearer the time of enrolment.
You may click here directly to access the online enrolment and payment service.
Please note the followings:
- Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Enrolment will be confirmed once you have made the payment online. You will receive a payment confirmation after payment has been made successfully. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.