Life & Health Sciences Dietetics, Food & Nutrition
Human Biology and Organic Chemistry II
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 09 Apr 2018 (Mon)
- Next intake(s)
- 9 Apr 2018
- 3.5 months
- Course Fee
The aim of this programme is to provide students with the basic knowledge in human biology and chemistry which will prepare them for further studies in the field of food and nutrition and related disciplines.
Programme Structure and Content
The total teaching hours is approximately 50 and extends over a period of approximately 3.5 months. There will be a 2 hour written test at the end of each module.
Organic Chemistry module
- Bonding and structure of chemical compound
- Chemical energetics
- Chemical kinetics
- Chemical equilibrium
- Functional groups in organic chemistry
- Electrophilic and nucleophilic reactions
- Introduction to stereochemistry and chirality
- The importance of stereochemistry and chiralty in biological system and pharmaceutical industry
Human Biology module
- Nutrition, health and disease
- Digestive system
- Respiratory system
- Circulatory system
- Basic immunology
- Chemical messengers
- Endocrine and nervous system
- growth and development
- introduction to genetics
Students who complete the course with a minimum of 80 % attendance rate and pass both written tests will be awarded a Statement of Achievement by HKU SPACE.
Students who have successfully completed this Level II course will be eligible to apply for the HKU SPACE Advanced Certificate in Human Biochemistry and Physiology.Days / Time
- Monday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm and
- Thursday, 7:00pm - 9:30pm; some Saturday afternoons
- HKU SPACE Learning Centre (Usually Fortress Hill, Causeway Bay or North Point)
- Course Fee : HK$5,500
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
Interested candidates should apply by returning the enrolment form, together with relevant supporting documents, copy of Hong Kong Identity Card (or valid working/dependent visa with original entry permit) and a course fee to either:
- By Post: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition, HKU SPACE, 13/F, Fortress Tower, 250 King's Road, North Point (Attn to: Ms Hannah Wu) OR
- In Person: any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Counters (Attn: Dietetics, Food and Nutrition) OR
- By online: through HKU SPACE website.
1. Cash or EPS
Course fees can be paid by cash or EPS at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.