Hospitality, Tourism & Events Hospitality & Tourism Management
This programme aims to provide students with the basic concepts and knowledge in tourism and hospitality. It covers a wide range of industrial knowledge, including vast majority of business organisations, structures in travel and tourism industries as well as different career pathways in airlines, theme parks, travel agencies, hotels, restaurants, and cruise industry. Upon completion of the programme, students will be able to identify and examine travellers’ purposes of visiting a destination and travellers’ motivations by understanding the industrial trends, statistics, contributing factors and stages in the historical development of tourism. The new travelling modes and experiences in 21st Century as well as the professional ethic consideration will also be discussed via various real-world case studies.
INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOME
On completion of the programme, students should be able to
- identify and examine the key issues in the measurement of tourism trends, statistics, contributing factors and stages in the historical development of tourism in terms of its demand and motivations;
- define and amalgamate the links and integrated nature of the component sectors of the hospitality travel and tourism industry; and
- evaluate well defined issues within largely familiar sub-sectors of the tourism industry and extend this to some less familiar issues in the industry;
- present, evaluate and apply information relating to the wider impacts of tourism development on economies, society, cultures and the natural environment for planning strategies;
- perform skilled tasks related to the tourism and hospitality industry by carrying out lines of enquiry with appropriate solutions.
- Definition and the History of Tourism
- Concepts and Theories of Tourism Development
- Economies of Tourism, Determinants of Tourism Demand
- Tourist Motivation & Behaviour, Tourism Trends and Collection of Tourism Statistics
- The Structure and Organisation of the Travel and Tourism Industry
- Passenger Transport – Aviation
- Passenger Transport – Cruises, Road and Rail
- The Hospitality Sector – Accommodation and Catering
- Introduction to Attractions Management
- Tour Operation and Tour Retailing
- Role of Public Sector – Tourism Policy, NTO
- Economic, Socio-cultural and Environmental Impacts of Tourism
- Professional Ethics in Tourism and Hospitality
- Contemporary Travel mode in 21st Century
Throughout this programme, students will be assessed by a combination of:
- Group Project
On satisfactory completion of the Programme and pass the assessments, students will be awarded the Certificate for Module (Introduction to Tourism and Hospitality) within the HKU system through HKU SPACE.
Mr Alan CHAN
- Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management Trainer/
- Incentive Travel Planner/
- Event Manager/ Travel-writer and Radio Programme Co-host
- Event management
- International tourism marketing
- Travel incentives
- Opened up new visitor sources from major new markets including Russia and India for the Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) to maintain a diverse visitor portfolio
- Enhanced HKTB market penetration in the short-haul region by leveraging event marketing as a means to boost visitor arrivals
- Led the Sales Department of Amway Hong Kong, world’s leading direct selling company with direct involvement in organizing incentive travel and special events in Hong Kong and overseas
- Staged the first large-scale incentive travel seminar to Bangkok, Thailand for Amway independent business owners from Mainland China in 1996
- Bridging national tourist offices and travel trade partners through The Association of National Tourist Office Representatives in Hong Kong (ANTOR)
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION
39 hours /3 hours per week/13 Weeks (Normal)
Weekday evening : 6:45 - 9:45pm or 7:00 - 10:00pm
Weekend daytime or evening: 10:00am - 1:00pm or 6:45 - 9:45pm
Admiralty Learning Centre / United Learning Centre / HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) Campus / Fortress Tower Learning Centre Programme team reserves the right to change the above venue/ classroom if necessary.
- have gained in the HKALE Grade E in 1 AL subject and in the HKCEE Grade E in 4 subjects, and Level 2 in English Language*, or equivalent; Or
- have gained in the HKDSE Examination Level 2 in 5 subjects including English Language; Or
- hold a Certificate in Private Jet Hospitality Service Management awarded within the HKU system through HKU SPACE, or equivalent; Or
- be mature applicants (aged 21 years or above) who do not fulfill the academic requirement but have at least 3 years of relevant work experience in the hospitality and tourism industry will be considered. They should have Level 2 in English Language* in HKCEE or Level 2 in English Language in HKDSE Examination or equivalent. They may need to attend an interview.
* With effect from 2007, HKU SPACE recognises Grade E previously awarded for Chinese Language and English Language (Syllabus B) (Grade C in the case of English Language (Syllabus A)) at HKCEE as an acceptable alternative to Level 2 in these two subjects at HKCEE.
Applicants with other qualifications will be considered on individual merit.
- HK$5,200 per programme
(*The tuition fee is reviewed annually and is subject to change without prior notice.)
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to apply to selected award-bearing programmes and to enrol in most open admission courses (courses enrolled on a first come, first served basis) via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard online. Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS) are also available for continuing enrolment in the same programme, if online service is offered.
For first time enrolment
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may admit by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the application or programme/course fees by either using:
"PPS by Internet" - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
*Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
* HKU SPACE Mastercard cardholders who wish to enjoy 10-month interest free instalment scheme must pay their tuition fees in person at any of our HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
To know more about first-time online application/enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Application / Enrolment and Payment:
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
Selected programmes offer online continuing enrolment service. Programme staff will inform students if they offer this service and offer further enrolment details.
Online Payment can be made via "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard, Online WeChat Pay, Online AliPay and Faster Payment System (FPS)
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
[Download Enrolment Form SF26]
Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same programme
The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
Please refer to available Payment Methods for fee payment information. If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only Early Bird Discount is supported for Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, a payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash, EPS, WeChat Pay Or Alipay
Course fees can be paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay or Alipay at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque Or Bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify the programme title(s) for application and the applicant’s name.. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or Mastercard, including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”, at any HKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE Mastercard can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online Payment
Online application / enrolment is offered for most open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes. Application fees and course fees of these programmes/courses can be settled by using "PPS by Internet" (not available via mobile phones), VISA or Mastercard. In addition to the aforesaid online payment channels, continuing students of award-bearing programmes, if their programmes offer online service, may also pay their course fees by Online WeChat Pay, Online Alipay and Faster Payment System (FPS). Please refer to Enrolment Methods - Online Enrolment for details.
- If the programme/course is starting within five working days, application by post is not recommended to avoid any delays. Applicants are advised to enrol in person at HKU SPACE Enrolement Centres and avoid making cheque payment under this circustance.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, WeChat Pay, Alipay, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder's credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferrable from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be repsonsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For payment certification, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to "HKU SPACE" to any of our enrolment centres.
- Relevant Programmes
- Certificate for Module (Business of Live Entertainment) Certificate for Module (Creation and Management of Live Events) Certificate for Module (Event Planning and Promotion) Certificate for Module (Events Operations) Certificate for Module (Food and Beverage Administration) Certificate for Module (Guest Relationship Management) Certificate for Module (Hospitality, Tourism and Events in the Digital Age) Certificate for Module (Hotel and Resort Management) Certificate for Module (Marketing for the Hospitality, Tourism and Event Industry) Advanced Diploma in Tourism and Travel Experience Management Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management