LawCommon Law and Professional Courses
Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies
- Study mode
- Start Date
- To be advised
- Next intake(s)
- October 2017
- 6 months
HK's Most Popular Introductory Law Programme
If you have finished the Diploma in Legal Studies, you can enroll on the Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies to further your legal knowledge by studying three further modules on Hong Kong law. This course is useful for anyone wishing to know more about law for their career development, as well as those considering training in law.
All students completing both the Professional and General Stream of the the Diploma in Legal Studies are welcome to join the Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies.
Students on the Professional Stream are encouraged to enroll in order to complete all the legal studies required by the Law Society of Hong Kong in order to qualify as a Legal Executive.
Students on the General Stream may also find it useful to join the Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies in order to further their legal knowledge, although they cannot qualify as Legal Executives.
In order to provide you with more flexibility, you can enroll separately on each module of the Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies.
You may choose to complete some modules in 2017-18 and defer other modules until the next academic year, depending on what is most convenient for you.
Different Electives may sometimes be offered on this course in other academic years, including Company Law and Corporate Governance and/or Hong Kong Commercial Law and Practice. All modules are offered subject to sufficient enrolment.
You must complete all three modules within three years of starting the Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies.
Become a Legal Executive
Legal Executive are assistants to lawyers who help carry out many types of legal work. This professional title can only be used by students who complete an Approved Legal Executive Course recognized by the Law Society of Hong Kong, and the Professional Stream was one of the first courses recognized by the Law Society for this purpose.
One of the great attractions of the Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies is that it allows students who have already finished the Professional Stream of the Diploma in Legal Studies to complete all the legal subjects necessary to qualify as Legal Executives.
To work as a Legal Executive, students must also satisfy eligibility requirements set by the Law Society. The Law Society currently lists the following eligibility requirements in paragraph 2(b) of its Benchmarks for Legal Executive Courses:
(i) have obtained a pass in 5 subjects in HKCEE or a combination of results in 5 HKDSE subjects of Level 2 in NSS subjects, “Attained” in ApL subjects (subject to a maximum of 2 ApL subjects”) and Grade E in Other Language subjects or who have been in law-related employment in Hong Kong for 3 years; &
(ii) have obtained a minimum grade of D in English language (Syllabus B) (or equivalent) in pre-2007 HKCEE, or a minimum level 3 in English language from 2007 HKCEE onwards, or a minimum overall score of 6 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System), or a minimum Level 3 in English Language in HKDSE since 2012.
Students on the Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies study three further modules on Hong Kong law. The following modules will be offered in 2017-18:
- Professional Responsibility and Advocacy;#
- Legal Writing and Drafting;#
- Disputes Resolution (as an Elective).
# Students on the Professional Stream must take this module to complete all the legal studies required by the Law Society of Hong Kong for qualifying as a Legal Executive.
- HK$7,700 per module (inclusive of exam fee)
- The CEF Institution Code of HKU SPACE is 100
CEF SectorBusiness Services
|Disputes Resolution (Module from Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies Programme)|
|COURSE CODE 21Z07203-A||FEES $8,000||ENQUIRY 2520-4665|
|Continuing Education Fund reimbursable programme (selected modules only)
Some modules of this programme have been included in the list of CEF reimbursable programmes. Application for CEF has to be made before commencement of the modules.
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE enrolment counters.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please specify theprogramme title(s) for application and applicant’s name. You may either:
- bring the completed form(s), together with the appropriate course or application fees in the form of a cheque, and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres;
- or mail the above documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope. HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment sent by mail.
Applicants may also pay the course fee by VISA or MasterCard, including the “HKU SPACE MasterCard”, at anyHKU SPACE enrolment centres. Holders of the HKU SPACE MasterCard can enjoy a 10-month interest-freeinstalment period for courses with a tuition fee worth a minimum of HK$2,000; however, the course applicant must also be the cardholder himself/herself. For enquiries, please contact our staff at any enrolment centres.
4. Online payment (for the course/programme has online enrolment only)
The course fees of all open admission courses (course enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes can be settled by using PPS via the Internet. Applicants may also pay the relevant course fees by VISA or MasterCard online. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or MasterCard if the course is to start shortly.
Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or PPS (for online payment only) will normally be reimbursed by a cheque, and fees paid by credit card will normally be reimbursed to the payment cardholder’s credit card account.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme team for details.
- Fees and places on courses cannot be transferred from one applicant to another. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on approved transfers.
- Receipts will be issued for fees paid but HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of receipt sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with a completed form and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’. Such copies will only normally be issued at the end of a course.