Accounting & FinanceInvestment Management
Executive Certificate in Big Data and Business Analytics
- Course Code
- Application Code
- Study mode
- Start Date
- 28 Sep 2019 (Sat)
- 1 month to 2 months
- Course Fee
- HK$7000 per programme
This programme is suitable for degree holders and Executives who wish...
Create value for your company using Big Data!
KPI setting, Balanced Scorecard, Performance Management....
No Coding experience is necessary
The Executive Certificate in Big Data and Business Analytics aims to provide students with knowledge in Big Data and Business Analytics for management decision-making. Students are expected to be familiar with different big data analyses, tools and methodologies. The programme provides an insight on how business world is using Big Data to improve their business models.
"Think BIG DATA, Think HKU SPACE"
AI崛起 數據分析師最吃香 by Skypost
如何入行大數據/數據分析? by 每日頭條
如何做個有能力,懂業務,擅工具的數據分析師? by 每日頭條
How companies are using big data and analytics? by McKinsey
Who would benefit from EC in Big Data and Business Analytics:
- one who wants to understand how Business world is using Big Data
- one who wants to learn how Big Data influence management decision
- one who wants to apply Big Data to their current work/business environment
- one who wants to explore different methodologies and tools in predictive analysis
On completion of the programme, students should be able to:
1. self-explore commonly available off-the-shelf Big Data tools, algorithms and methodologies;
2. utilize existing Big Data algorithms and tools made available online for predictive analysis;
3. apply Big Data analytics and incidental AI technologies for management's decision-making;
4. develop big data strategies and forecast results through predictive analytics;
5. examine Big Data handling processes with reference to ethical issues of Big Data collection and privacy protection in the business world.
(1) Dr. George Ng is a data science practitioner who received his doctorate in Biotechnology from the University of Queensland Australia. He actively consults in the application of machine learning and artificial intelligence in Manufacturing, Food & Beverage, Hotels, Logistics & Transportation, Retail, Energy, Consumer Goods, Big Pharma industries. He is a visiting scholar at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology for full-time MSc in investment management and teaches Machine Learning with Python. He was the founder and CEO of 2 previous startups.
(2) Ms. Rowena Lai is a practitioner in Business and Data Analytics. With a Bachelor of Science (Major in Mathematics and Minor in Economics) from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, two Master of Science degrees in both International Shipping and Transport Logistics as well as Global Supply Chain Management from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, she has worked with different industries on business analytics area. Ms Lai is currently working in a leading banking and leading various data analytics projects. She has also worked in an airline industry leader, and shipping industry on Revenue Management and Business Analytics. Thanks to her strong business and analytical sense together with her extended working exposure, she would like to share her academic knowledge and practical experience in Data Science and Analytics.
|Application Code||1745-EP104A||Apply Online Now|
|Apply Online Now|
- 30 hours per module
- HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) Campus
- Hong Kong Island
1. Defining Big Data and its business and technology implications 解釋大數據及其對於商業及科技的啟示
- What is Big Data? What are 5 “V”s in Big Data?
- What Big Data Alchemy means for Business?
- Business Intelligence concepts and applications
2. Fraud Prevention and Data Governance 預防欺詐及數據管治
- Data Protection and the responsibility of information governance
- Corporate fraud detection and prevention
- Fraud Detection Techniques with Predictive Analytics
- Risk prediction and assessment
3. Data Processing and Analysis 數據處理與分析
- Data Analytics goal setting & Data Mining
- Key statistic theories & techniques, Hypothesis testing revision
- Key Performance Indicators & Key Success Factors for strategic business analytics
4. Big Data Tools and Algorithm Exploration 大數據分析工具及探索有關之演算法
- Usage of different off-the-shelf tools & algorithm
- Additional Freewares introduction for predictive analysis
5. Data Visualization & Interpretation 資訊視覺化及數據演繹
- Explore different visualization tools
- Visual analytics & business experiments in data modelling
- Turning results into executive business decision
Assessment method: class participation + assignment
The Executive Certificate will be conferred to candidates who have attained PASS grade and achieved at least 70% attendance of the programme.
September 2019 intake
Remarks: Tentative timetable is subject to change and course commencement is subject to sufficient enrollment numbers.
Applicants shall hold:
a) a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognized University or equivalent; or
b) an Associate Degree/ a Higher Diploma or equivalent, and have at least 2 years of relevant working experience.
Applicants with other qualification and substantial senior level work experience will be considered on individual merit.
**Please upload copy of HKID and proof of degree while applying online.
HK$150 (student only needs to pay one time application fee for all EC in Big Data Series)Course Fee
- Course Fee : HK$7000 per programme (Course fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Online Application Apply Now
Application Form Download Application FormEnrolment Method
HKU SPACE provides 24-hour online application and payment service for students to make enrolment for most open admission courses (courses enrolled on first come, first served basis) and selected award-bearing programmes via the Internet. Applicants may settle the payment by using either PPS, VISA or Mastercard online.
Complete the online application form
Applicant may click the icon on the top right hand corner of the programme/course webpage to make online application, and then follow the instructions to fill in the online application form.
Some programmes/courses may be admitted by selection, and may require applicants to provide electronic copy of any required documents (e.g. proof of qualification) as indicated on the programme/course webpage. Only file format in doc, docx, jpg and pdf are supported.
Make Online Payment
Pay the programme/course fees by either using:
PPS via Internet - You will need a PPS account and a PPS Internet password. For information on how to open a PPS account and how to set up a PPS Internet password, please visit http://www.ppshk.com.
Credit Card Online Payment - Course fees can be paid by VISA or Mastercard including the “HKU SPACE Mastercard”.
To know more about online enrolment and payment, please refer to the user guide of Online Enrolment and Payment:
In Person / Mail
For first time enrolment
Applicants must provide all the required information on the application form and any additional information as required after the intial application assessment. Otherwise the School may not be able to process the admission/enrolment further.
- For first come, first served short courses, complete the Application for Enrolment Form SF26 and bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
- Award-bearing and professional courses may require other information. Forms are usually available at the enrolment centres or on request from programme staff. Bring or post the completed form(s), together with the appropriate application/course fee(s) and any required supporting documents to any of the HKU SPACE enrolment centres.
For continuing enrolment in the same course
In person or by post
- The standard ‘Enrolment/Payment Slip’ is designed for students of award-bearing programmes or remaining programmes in a suite of programmes requiring continuing enrolment and it applies to most programmes.
- Students should complete the “Enrolment/Payment Slip” which will be made available by relevant programme staff and return the slip to any HKU SPACE enrolment centre or post it to the relevant programme staff with appropriate fee payment.
If you are in doubt about the procedures, please check the individual course details, or contact our programme staff or enrolment centres.
Please note the followings for programme/course enrollment:
- Applicants should not leave the online application idle for more than 10 minutes. Otherwise, applicants must restart the application process.
- Only S-MILES and Early Bird Discount are supported in Online Applicants (Application). To enjoy other types of discount, please visit one of our enrolment centres.
- During the online application process, asynchronous application and payment submission may occur. Successful payment may not guarantee successful application. In case of unsuccessful submission, our programme staff will contact you shortly.
- Applicants are reminded that they should only apply for the same programme/course once through counter or online application.
- For online enrolment, payment confirmation page would be displayed after payment has been made successfully. In addition, a confirmation email would also be sent to your email account. You are advised to keep your payment confirmation for future enquiries.
- Fees paid are not refundable except as statutorily provided or under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment).
- If admission is by selection, the official receipt is not a guarantee that your application has been accepted. We will inform you of the result as soon as possible after the closing date for application. Unsuccessful applicants will be given a refund of programme/course fee if already paid.
The School provides a platform for online services for a selected range of products it offers. While every effort is made to ensure timeliness and accuracy of information contained in this website, such information and materials are provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind. In particular, no warranty or assurance regarding non-infringement, security, accuracy, fitness for a purpose or freedom from computer viruses is given in connection with such information and materials.
The School (and its respective employees and subsidiaries) is not liable for any loss or damage in connection with any online payments made by you by reason of (i) any failure, delay, interruption, suspension or restriction of the transmission of any information or message from any payment gateways of the relevant banks and/or third party merchants for processing credit/debit/smart card or other payment facilitation mechanism; (ii) any negligence, mistake, error in or omission from any information or message transmitted from the said payment gateways; (iii) any breakdown, malfunction or failure of those gateways in effecting online payment service or (iv) anything arisen out of or in connection with the said payment gateways, including but not limited to unauthorised access to or alternation of the transmission of data or any unlawful act not permitted by the law.
1. Cash or EPS
Cash or EPS are accepted at any HKU SPACE Enrolment Centres.
2. Cheque or bank draft
Course fees can also be paid by crossed cheque or bank draft made payable to “HKU SPACE”. Please write the programme title(s) and the applicant’s name on the back of the cheque. You may either:
- in person by submitting the payment, completed form(s), and required supporting documents to any of our enrolment centres; or
- by mailing the above documents to any of our enrolment centres, specifying “Course Application” on the envelope.
Course applicants, who are holders of HKU SPACE Mastercard, can enjoy a 10-month interest-free instalment period for courses of HK$2,000 and over. For enquiries, please contact our enrolment centres.
4. Online payment
Online payment for short courses (first come, first served) and selected award-bearing programmes is available using PPS, VISA or Mastercard. Please refer to the Online Services page on the School website.
- For general and short courses, applicants may be required to pay the course fee in cash or by EPS, Visa or Mastercard if the course is to start shortly.
- Fees paid are not refundable except under very exceptional circumstances (e.g. course cancellation due to insufficient enrolment), subject to the School’s discretion. In exceptional cases where a refund is approved, fees paid by cash, EPS, cheque or online PPS will be reimbursed by a cheque; fees paid by credit card will be reimbursed to credit card account used for payment.
- In addition to the published fees, there may be additional costs associated with individual programmes. Please refer to the relevant course brochures or direct any enquiries to the relevant programme teams for details.
- Fees and places on courses are not transferrable. Once accepted onto a course, the student may not change to another course without approval from HKU SPACE. A processing fee of HK$120 will be levied on each approved transfer.
- HKU SPACE will not be responsible for any loss of payment, receipt, or personal information sent by mail.
- For additional copies of receipts, please submit a completed form, a sufficiently stamped and self-addressed envelope, and a crossed cheque for HK$30 per copy made payable to ‘HKU SPACE’ to any of our enrolment centres. Such copies will normally be issued at the end of a course.